• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

B-6 Bomber Jacket

Tomlinson1861

I have inherited a B-6 Bomber jacket. My dad was a tail gunner on a B-24, but this didn't belong to him, so I'm thinking about selling it. I have no idea what to ask as far as price. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The label states:

TYPE B-6

DWG.NO. 39H482

AC ORDER NO. 43-13617A
SIZE 40R
Arnoff Shoe Co. Inc.
Bristol Mfg. Corp.
W. Warwick, R. I.
Property
Air Force US Army

OA condition I would consider is VG for the age. It has light crazing, with minimal lose of the brown glaze. The sheepskin looks like it did the day it was made. The zipper is intact and works well. The 2 waist straps and buckles, and collar strap and buckle are present. On the left shoulder is a painted patch of the AF wings, and under that is: ARMY AIR FORCE. No rips, tears, or other damage, except as noted above.

Roughwear

Welcome to the forum. Pictures of the B-6 would help people to give you an idea of value. There appear to been fewer Arnoff shoe B-6s made than the commonly seen Aeros which would increase its value. However original B-6s are not really wearable jackets today as even those in mint condition are liable to rip. Great display items or collectables though.

Andrew

You'll get some idea but it's unlikely you'll get a definitive value for it here or on any forum as opinions and motive will differ.

You're best bet to see some action is to photograph it very well showing as much of the whole jacket and it's detail, describe just what you see giving as much info about where you got it, give it a title like WW2 WW11 USAAF B-6 Flight jacket and let it go with an opening bid of $20. The market will set the pace and final price.

Tomlinson1861

Thanks for the info. I'll get a few pics up here when the computer guru (Wife) gets home. I do have my dads leather flight helmet, goggles, and O2 mask. I had thought about getting a maniquin (sp?) and making a display, but I mainly collect Civil War.

Grant

Don't let anyone kid you, B-6's in excellent condition are very rare no matter who the maker is. Smaller sizes are much more desirable for our Japanese collector friends who usually pay top dollar. Good luck selling it.

asiamiles

Should fetch a tidy sum. Feel free to offer it here first as I'm sure I'm only only of several members who'd probably love to have it...just my size!

Tomlinson1861

asiamiles said:
Should fetch a tidy sum. Feel free to offer it here first as I'm sure I'm only only of several members who'd probably love to have it...just my size!

Here is a link to the eBay auction. I took 12 pics so y'all can check it out. I didn't see your post until I came to post the link. My humble appoligies. Feel free to bid, if a member of the board gets close to the reserve, but doesn't make it, let me know you are a member, and we'll work something out.I set the reserve at the average of the estimates I've received here, and a couple other places. If it makes it fine. If it gets close, I'll do a second chance offer. If it flops, I'll keep it and make a display with my dads flight helmet, goggles, and O2 mask. Thanks for all the help! Jim

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0549527074

Grant

Just a little friendly advice - get the jacket off that hanger as fast as you can. That's probably the worst thing you can do to a vintage shearling jacket. It puts strain on the shoulder seams that can weaken the seams and lead to cracking and spliting of the skin.

Tomlinson1861

Grant said:
Just a little friendly advice - get the jacket off that hanger as fast as you can. That's probably the worst thing you can do to a vintage shearling jacket. It puts strain on the shoulder seams that can weaken the seams and lead to cracking and spliting of the skin.

It's already off! :eek: I had no idea about that. Thanks for the heads up. Just my luck...I'll screw it up before it gets out of the house! :cry: Clothing is not my area of expertise, because in my CW collecting, original clothes from the period are extremely costly, and somewhat rare. I do deal with period leather, and know how to preserve it, but I decided not to do anything to the flight jacket. Most buyers like to 'restore' stuff like this themselves, and I'm the same way.

Roughwear

Jim, its a beautiful B-6 in excellent condition and should reach a high price on Ebay. Good luck with it.

Peter Graham

I've been looking for a wearable B-6 for a very long time and have come to the conclusion that it's probably impossible to find one. Yours could well be the exception to the rule. After watching B-6's on ebay for years I know that for some reason they sell for quite a bit less than B-3's in comparable condition. I'm not sure why this is as they are rarer jackets. Good luck with the auction. Sadly for me, I won't be bidding. :(

Roughwear

Peter, I think because the B-6 was made from a thinner fleece than the B-3 people are aware that if worn it is more likely to rip. There are wearable B-3s out there and they usually always command high prices.

Tomlinson1861

Well guys it sold. I thought momma was gonna have a stroke watching it go off. I had 4 bidders from Japan ask if I would sell to them. At first I had some reservation at the thought of sending a US military item overseas. I still feel kinda funny about it, but had I not let them bid, it wouldn't have got to where it is. One thing is for sure...there is one happy guy in the Land Of The Rising Sun tonight.