• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

B-3 top coated with Tan-Kote

A

Anonymous

DSCN5034.jpg
DSCN5035.jpg
Yes Yes Yes I know this is the worst B-3 on the market, WPG, got it for cheap. The jacket is dyed without a top coat. It is like a chamois that would not stand a little rain without turning to sh#t. Decided to top coat it with Tan-Kote, you can see on the upper left panel, it has two coats. The leather has stiffened up, but is still flexable. No flaking, maybe a good touch up coat in small areas that need a new finish on a shearling jacket.

GoodTimesGone

The color in the panel you treated does show up nicer. Treating the B-3 sounds like a great idea in case you wear it in snow or rain. I have two B-3s even less accurate than yours- an Avirex and an Excelled. I still love them though. I bought them to look/fit good and keep me warm, not to be stitch-perfect replicas.

Silver Surfer

i use a product from fiebers called bag kote. the bag kote has a similar result. the surface ends up with a luster that can be polished to a sheen. repeat applications will give more of a sheen. this stuff works really well on the latest elc "broken grain" b-3s. it turns the red skin panels from that dead matte finish to a surface that has depth, and brings out the color subtleties. so far i have not detected any fissures in the surface, and suspect that the stuff is stable. i wore my elc perry in a driving rain yesterday, and the day before, and the bag kote seems to be a nice water repellent as well. use as directed. this product may cause insomnia, diarrea, coughing fits, spasms, psoriasis, hiccups, uncontroled laughter, eye fatigue, etc. if any of these symptoms occur consult your physician, or local boo dealer. kidding. the stuff is easy to use, and does not appear to be in the least bit toxic. a happy, healthy, prosperous new year, one and all. v

John Lever

Similar product Kiwi Clearshine. Acrylic wax dries in 2 minutes to a shine when buffed. I find the dull matt finish not quite to my taste and prefer the complex colours created when I use this product over Glytone.

Perydetail2.jpg

perrycuff.jpg

zoomer

And it feels vunnerful! I don't shmell like Norma Zimmer after I dance mit her, and I haffen't combed my hair zince 1973.
It Welked for me-a, it can Welk for you-a.
An' now howabouta liddle Champagne Musik about dose funny zigarettes de kids shmoke nowadayss...

A

Anonymous

zoomer said:
And it feels vunnerful! I don't shmell like Norma Zimmer after I dance mit her, and I haffen't combed my hair zince 1973.
It Welked for me-a, it can Welk for you-a.
An' now howabouta liddle Champagne Musik about dose funny zigarettes de kids shmoke nowadayss...
:lol: :lol :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

zoomer

On a serious note now...I have 8oz of Tan Kote coming by mail. I'm considering applying it to a US-Authentic AN-J-4, where the sheepskin finish has been "nubucked" by a previous owner who treated it with tack oil. Is TK the appropriate product here, and how should I apply it?

A

Anonymous

Brush, the easy way that works. Test it under the collar, or any inconspicuous place. Take an hour or so to dry to the touch. Use a blow dryer, maybe 25 seconds depending how thick the application is.

a2jacketpatches

If marking is what you're concerned about, those little black foam brushes are the way to go. They are made just to put a very thin even coat without brush strokes. But covering a very textured finish like this isn't that critical and a cheap chip brush would do it, just watch out for stray bristles.

zoomer

Update: Looks as tho Tan Kote might not be the thing. I tested 2 coats underneath a pocket flap of the AN-J - took 2+ hours to air dry and looks totally matte.

Thinking I might try the acrylic wax instead.