• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

B-3-theatre made variant

better duck

And what's that elasticized strap in the second to last photo doing there? that's an exclusive Irvin/Wairing = RAF sheepskin flying jacket feature, isn't it?

Roughwear

better duck said:
And what's that elasticized strap in the second to last photo doing there? that's an exclusive Irvin/Wairing = RAF sheepskin flying jacket feature, isn't it?

Peter the elastic strap to keep the collar up in a slip stream was certainly used on Irvins, but it was also used on the B-2.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Replacement of zippers is easy, and I believe Talon still supplies many of these lengths and weights.

Well, that's a relief. ;)

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Roughwear said:
... It has some interesting features, including sleeve zips and a D-1 style collar strap.

I only have bad, stolen from eBay, photographs of a B-3 from this contract ... they are unclear, but it appears to have sleeve zips, and a single collar strap.

This latest example may not be theatre made, with a slapped on label. It has an early riveted zipper ... perhaps it has suffered no more than a depot applied, poly-acrylate coating.

Roughwear

David you may be correct. It could be a very early B-3 from the first Werber contract with details not seen on later versions. I habe seen pics of 1935 Werbers made from undyed sheepskin, but I do not recall seeing the collar securing strap.

Roughwear

Thanks for the link David. I do remember the jacket now and yes I now think the Ebay jacket an original 1935 B-3 that has be through a USAAF depot. The sheepskin looks quite fragile, but as an ultra rare collectable it should arouse much interest and could go for a high price.