• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

b-3 jackets

lavishlife

How warm are these bad boys? I'm hearing that these are even too warm for weather at 30F or 20F, with t shirt only on. Does anyone have any opinions? I live in NYC.

donsom

Mine is quite warm for even colder weather... but I wouldn't say TOO warm for 20 - 30F with just a shirt. (pics - viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2350)

If you're planning on jogging in it ... then yes, it would be too warm. :)

I live in southern Ontario ... so NYC weather is very similar for the most part.

tgd31968

lavishlife said:
How warm are these bad boys? I'm hearing that these are even too warm for weather at 30F or 20F, with t shirt only on. Does anyone have any opinions? I live in NYC.
I was worried about that too. I listened to a lot of advice on here, decided that a full thickness B-3 would be too much, then had one custom made by Aero leather using the lighter weight B-6/D-1 skins.

I am in Michigan, so the weather in the Detroit area runs about the same as yours. Mid Teens -30F pretty commonly.

I get cold easily, and I must say the lighter weight skins are marginal when I am out for a long time, but fine for going from house to car to office to store, etc. It just depends on how long you are going to "soak" in the cold. If you sit in a car a lot, the full weight jacket will get warm. If you stand outside for longer periods of time, the full weight jacket will probably be fine. It depends a lot on what you plan to use the jacket for, and what your personal temperature tolerance is. I have noted that on mine, it is a bit drafty, and it is no where near as warm as any of my modern winter jackets with modern insulation. It was warm for it's time, but there is a reason besides just cost that skeepskin went away in the AAF as well as civilian wear.
For my part, I am a little sorry I got the lighter jacket, but it works fine for what I do with it. I have noticed that my areo b-3 with the b-6 weight skin is about the same thickness as my original b-3 that has had 60+ years of wear, crushing and compression of the wool.
Fashon wise, the b-3 just looks out of place today in my opinion. Some guys think it is cool, and most women think it is dorky. The only woman who get it is a friend of mine who has a jewelry/shoe fettish. She understands the whole historical jacket fetish. My girlfeind does too, but still thinks the b-3 isn't really "the look". I wanted a b-3 for hisotical reasons, but a b-6 or d-1 fits in better at the mall. I also think an Irvn is a bit more fashionable, but again, that is just my opinion. Take it for what it is worth.

Terry

Tim P

Your answer may be a what price glory model which is lighter and lacks nothing at first glance. Anal detail is forsaken to keep the price down and it is about 2/3 the weight of a high end repro. As are many originals that have moulted shed and settled.... not perfect but lacks the bulk you seem worried about.

fishmeok

I can really only wear my B-3 when it gets well below 25 F. If you are out and moving around it warms up fast, but if you are sitting in a car with no heat it's perfect (what it was designed to do anyway). But since I don't have a willys anymore that never happens...

IMHO a B-6 or a D-1 is the best option for a wearable shearling AAF winter jacket. I would very much like to have one someday. :)
Cheers
Mark

interbak

I'm in Southern Ontario as well, and wear an Aero B-3. It's great in the cold winter, but not overly heavy. Like donsom said, unless you're jogging or shoveling snow it should be just fine.

Brian