• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

B-24 Pilot Collection on ebay

USMC_GAU-21

Well,

hopefully we will see a happy ending here. I too hate to see entire collections go to eBay as you never know where they show up.

I really hope this collection ends up in Duxford. That would be nice to see him reunited with his brothers in arms so to say.

As far as replying "better things to do" on the forum...um this is what the forum is for. Talk about the collecting of these jackets. So asking for ideas is what the forum is for. thats why I joined. Lots of great minds here and a great deal of knowledge on all topics related to this great gear we collect.

dmar836, thanks for following up with the seller. Good news and good on ya ;)

/r/Gy Dan

JDAM

dmar836 said:
JDAM,
Shall I assume you're bitter he rejected your private offer? It did take some of your time to respond so I assume you are not those "folk".

No, I have no interest at all in the item or a speculative blow by blow account of what may or may not have happened with the auction.

Roughwear

JDAM said:
dmar836 said:
JDAM,
Shall I assume you're bitter he rejected your private offer? It did take some of your time to respond so I assume you are not those "folk".

No, I have no interest at all in the item or a speculative blow by blow account of what may or may not have happened with the auction.

That's fine, but why bother to post about it then?

dmar836

JDAM,
Welcome to the forum. You've been on board less than a month. Are you an ex-member returning?
Dave

dmar836

Received this update today:

Hi Dave,

I did follow up today with ABMC and it's all completely legit and above board. Thanks so much for your concern, and the concern of all the collectors discussing this.

- fencingmom

I am relieved this wasn't a scam.
I know we've discussed this with great controversy but such a side deal is against the selling policy of Ebay. It is of concern to me that a "representative" of the ABMC is using this tactic to obtain groupings. I have my issues with museums and collections held in this way as few contributors know that their items are often sold to fund the area a museum is currently focusing on.
I have my opinion, stated before, about those using Ebay this way but that an official gov't body is doing this is quite concerning.

JMO,
Dave

USMC_GAU-21

Ok,

So the first post was innocent enough. Now you say what you did above? Then don't read the thread. If you are not interested in the flight gear why are you posting on a flight gear collectors forum?

Could make smart comment here, but no. Just wondering why you are "hassling" with this? You must have way much more important things to attend to.

My opinion. Not worth much, but mine.

/r/Gy Dan

dmar836

Dan,
I guess I put it here as it relates to the original items posted. Admittedly, I didn't start the thread so....

The only off topic part is my comments about museum policy. I have been learning about museum policies since being at the British museum in Sept. There is a lot I never knew and, although this thread wasn't started about that, I thought the development(the side sale to a US gov't sponsored "museum") sort of led it to that. Sorry if my comments are misplaced.

I had no intention of bidding on this split-up grouping but my involvement? There are a few here who collect more than jackets so when such a nice grouping show up, it is discussed on many different collector forums. What happens to them, in such a competitive market, is of concern to those of us who also preserve the groups.

For the record, I have been approached before to contribute to a museum by a local author on WWII aviation plants in the area. Great history and cause but I resisted, and guess what, the "museum" never materialized. This, and a friend with a similar situation, caused my inquiry into museum policy.

I guess I should have explained some of this and how it strikes a chord with me.

Apologies and I'll drop it,

Dave

USMC_GAU-21

Dave,

My comments are IN NO WAY directed at you. they are to JDAM. I think your posts were right on.

I appreciate them very much! I am sorry if I confused the issue.

r/Dan

dmar836

LOL. Sorry. Guess it explains my rant better either way. JDAM, a new member, is posting rapidly elsewhere normally. For some reason he doesn't care for me or I've struck a nerve with him.
Oh well.
Thanks,
Dave

Stony

What I'm thinking about here is that if the buyer is a museum, museums in general rarely if ever buy anything as the donations are usually more than they can handle. I know that the Museum of Flight in Seattle where I worked for eight years didn't buy any accutrements that I know of. It just seems strange to me that this museum is buying this collection, which in my opinion, wasn't at the top of the heap.

Just my observations mind you.

Cheers,

Stony

dmar836

Received another e-mail from the seller. He says the ABMC is upset that he told us of the transaction!

This furthers my suspicion and distrust of the "museum" types - they must not like the publicity of this type of acquisition.

Guess now "it is what it is."

dmar836

Okay, final story.
I inquired via email how the ABMC attained artifacts very early in this dialog. This am, for fear of pushing too far, I deleted all correspondence with the seller and just dropped it.
Then I received this email which I also deleted without reading - thinking I was being reprimanded for sticking my nose where it didn't belong. Curiosity won out and I pulled it from my trash.

Here's my late answer from the ABMC:

Mr. Meyer,

We have a project underway at Cambridge American Cemetery to improve our interpretive and visitor services. This project will involve designing exhibits for a new visitor center, and the contents of those exhibits will likely include artifacts. The individual who contacted the seller is not a representative of the American Battle Monuments Commission; he contacted the seller solely on his own initiative. That was a misunderstanding that he clarified for the seller. The individual who contacted the seller worked with us on previous interpretive projects for Normandy American Cemetery and our Web site, and donated some items that are on display at Normandy. He knew of our ongoing project at Cambridge and thought the items the seller was offering might be of interest to us for that project. However, we have not completed the exhibit design and have made no final decisions on the contents of the exhibit.

Although I am confident, given my previous professional association with the individual, that he had no intent to scam the seller, I have asked him not to use our agency as a reference unless we have authorized him to do so.

I hope this explanation is helpful.

Respectfully,

(name omitted)
Director of Public Affairs

American Battle Monuments Commission[/color]

For some reason I feel vindicated in this matter.
Dave