• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

B-24 Pilot Collection on ebay

SuinBruin

Nice jacket. Looks like a Bronco in goat.

But if it belonged to my father, or grandfather, or great-grandfather, there is no way I would sell it, period.

Oh well.

Roughwear

Yes its does appear to be a goatskin Bronco, which has signs of rot on the arm. Nevertheless a nice collection.

Stony

I see that he's broken the whole pile up and is selling it seperately. Too bad as there's lots of nice stuff in the group.

The worst part for me is he's selling his dad's A2.. I mean.. really? You would rather ditch it for cash than hold onto this iconic thing that your OWN dad wore IN COMBAT?. I don't know if the guy is financially dire straits but to me that's just terribly sad in so many ways.

Dan

johnwayne

One of the pleasures in having an original let alone it being from a family member, is thinking or knowing where it could have been and who might have worn it - if only they could talk! It would break my heart if I had to let 'my Dads' jacket go (if I was in that situation) and I just hope he doesn't regret it later on in life.
Lets also hope one of 'our kind' gets it - to appreciate it fully.

cheers
Wayne

dmar836

I agree with what you all say as they were my same thoughts, however, lately I have though of this very thing.

Many collect cars, motorcycles(e-hem), lawnmower engines, machine tools, watches, fountain pens, model trains - you name it - and all with the same passion as we have. If I kept, or better, if my offspring kept, all my stuff, bikes, motos, tools, etc. that I have, they could quickly be overrun with "stuff" and be foreced to not park in the garage either! To many, memories are what they are and don't require physical stuff to make them important(though it really pains me to say that).

While I would kill to have such a complete collection from an actual relative I have to realize that's because it is already my passion. I think maybe such items are better off in our hands than in the closet only to be broken up later when a grandson wants a new push scooter - or worse when it is just tossed. They will certainly be revered more in our hands!

The very fact he is splitting it up is a dead indicator that he is more interested in cash than keeping the history alive. Some people will just never "get it" beyond what something means in money. Sad.

JMO,
Dave

dmar836

Did anyone watch any of this close? Every item, even those that had bids, closed with "0" bids.

Ebay has gotten so irritating. It's simply an anonymous way for the hopeful to price their goods or advertise cheaply and await the best side offer.

Ebay is so automated, it does little to monitor anything yet charges more than ever for.

I'd like to think that everyone banded together and boycotted the items due to the split-up but I know better. Since the starting amounts were pretty close to what we would expect, I say the seller new at least something and ended early for an outside offer.

Ideas?

Dave

TankBuster

The auctions weren't scheduled to close for a couple days. The seller cancelled all bids, and ended all the auctions early. I was watching the Benrus Sky Chief watch more out of curiosity than anything. When I checked in to Ebay a day or two ago, the auction had been ended. I checked her other items, and they were all ended early as well! 99.9% of the time that happens, it means a deal was reached, and the items were pulled. I'm sure that's the case here.

dmar836

JDAM,
Shall I assume you're bitter he rejected your private offer? It did take some of your time to respond so I assume you are not those "folk".

For those more interested in how this stuff goes, here is the response from the seller when I asked what happened:

"Hi, a representative of the American Battle Monuments Commission contacted me to acquire the entire collection for a memorial in Cambridge England. Thanks for your interest, though!"

dmar836

I doubt it, they appear pretty open about what happened. They wrote back,

"Hi David, I truly appreciate this note from you. People have to watch out for each other! Believe it or not, I only had one email asking me to go off eBay, and I've been around the block enough times to deflect him! I know lots and lots of people were watching these items, and I do have a fairly good idea of their value individually -- but not as a collection with this provenance. The man who contacted me seems to be a legitimate military historian who has been a government contractor for many of the overseas memorials, as well as for film, and TV etc. I decided to see what plays out with him because it seems like a wonderful opportunity for my late father to be honored at the memorial in Cambridge. I am proceeding with caution, and will not hand anything over without proper documentation and meetings. I figured, hey, I'm only out the eBay listing fees if this turns out to be a scam. Then I can relist and we can all have fun watching the bidding! I would be happy to let you and your pals know how this goes down. Thanks so much for your concern!"

- fencingmom

dmar836

Quoting credentials like "TV and movies" does more to bolster the scam idea than anything else. They told me they would keep us informed on what goes down. I encouraged them to contact the ABMC to see if it is legit.

Dave