• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

B-15's

A

Anonymous

Hi,
Can any jacket gurus out there please tell me the reason for the leather so-called 'oxygen mask tabs' on the B-15 ? The vertical tape or leather one that sat vertically on the later models is kinda clear; it was for some kind of crocodile clip that was attached to the mask, right ? :?
But two triangles of leather ...... ? What's that all about ?

I was reading one of my jacket books and got to thinking. I know, it's VERY dangerous when I try to do that but what the hell ? :eek:

J_H

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
JACKET_ HEAD said:

I like 'em, they look like a 'quick fix' that evolved into something more stylish.

A

Anonymous

JACKET_ HEAD said:

I agree David but what I meant really was how were they supposed to work ? Are the triangles meant to be open on one side for a clip to attach to it/them ? I've never actually seen a photo of someone wearing a B-15 (of any model) with oxy mask in use showing how these triangles or strips were meant to work. Was it a necessary mod' or something that was decided on a drawing board and never of use in reality ? Were they just to stop wear of mask rubbing on the same parts of an otherwise 'fragile' jacket ? If so, they seem somewhat small.

J_H

A

Anonymous

What a great website ! I'll be bookmarking THAT one. :)

Thanks for the enlightenment David.

J_H

Weasel_Loader

Copied from the website.

A new addition to the the B-15 type A were triangle shaped attachments where the oxygen mask snapped on to when not being used. Later versions of the B-15 incorporated a single vertical patch of fabric either on the left or right. The storm flap on the b-15 was designed extra long and included synthetic fur on the flap, not for warmth but to hold the aviator’s oxygen hose in place during high altitude flights.

What I don't understand is the last few statements. It seems they first talk about the later B-15s using the leather (later nylon) strip on the front to hold the oxygen mask, but state it was either on the right or left. :? Then they talk about a storm flap designed to hold the oxygen hose. :? It seems they are pointing to the piece under the collar as a oxygen hose holder. Anyone else read this different?

Doesn't make sense at all to me. :roll:

I also noticed the last photo is listed as a B-15D (Mod) when it's actually a olive B-15C (Mod). ;)