• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

B-15D Mods

rich

greyhound52 said:
I have two original B-15D mods and neither has the gold tag.

This is what the examples in Suit Up show also, no gold tag. One of the labels is handwritten too, something Deeb mentioned.

deand

No black and gold tag? Now that is good news! It occurs to me that it may seem silly to be pre-occupied with "do-it-yourself" reproducing. In defense, I guess I just enjoy the challenge of it, coming as close as I can to original by my own efforts, and the help of others, like you guys.

rich

Here's a close up of the Buzz label Dean.....
b-15.jpg

watchmanjimg

I've seen at least one original in this configuration, but as George pointed out it's not unusual for the black-and-gold label to have been replaced by the white "Mod" type. Buzz always seems to demonstrate a flair for the dramatic, focusing on the more elaborate examples out there.

deand

rich said:
Here's a close up of the Buzz label Dean.....
b-15.jpg

Is that:
a) Printed on a piece of fabric and sewn in, or
b) printed on paper, sealed in plastic and sewn in, or
c) other?

dean

USMC_GAU-21

printed on fabric, then the riggers would sew them in. Sometimes they were not this "neatly" done!

A stencil kit might have been used, a large piece of surplus fabric cut, lay over there stencil made out of cardboard of thick file folder (that's the way we did it in the Marine Corps for 24 yrs ;) ) then spray paint or brush paint over the stencil and there you have it.

Since it was a "field mod" put out by T.O. (Technical Order) The troops in the field could basically comply the best they could.

The tag reads:

CHANGED TO B-15C MODIFICATION IN COMPLIANCE / WITH TECHNICAL ORDER 14P3-10-501 STOCK NUMBER 8415-633-9613....9613 BEING THE NEW DESIGNATION STOCK NUMBER THE MANUALS CALLED OUT IN THE SUPPLY SYSTEM SO THE NEW JACKET WOULD BE RECOGNIZED.

Just food for thought.

r-Dan

watchmanjimg

My pleasure, Dean. Here's a great shot of an original with both labels intact, taken from the "furaitojakketogyarari" Peter mentioned. Just my size too . . . :(

B-15DModLabel.jpg