• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

B-15D Mods

watchmanjimg

Well gents, I finally received my anxiously-awaited B-15D Mods yesterday. Needless to say, I'm quite pleased with all three. And yes, I'm aware of my exaggeratedly stoic expression in the pictures. My girlfriend was teasing me as she took them, so I figured I'd ham it up a bit. Here goes:

First up is a fully patched size 42 example from the 48th FIS out of Langley AFB, VA. This individual was a Command Pilot and transitioned from F-102 to F-106, as evidenced by the triangles. Not visible in the scans are the embroidered-on-leather Major's leaves. The sleeve decal is faded, but still visible in person.

001-1.jpg
003-1.jpg

Next is a size 40 in near-mint condition aside from a slightly mothy collar. As seen in the second picture, the USAF decal is very strong. There is the slightest evidence of the careful removal of a nametape from the left breast and rank from both shoulders, but only upon close inspection. The inner USAF decal is still visible. Like the one George picked up recently, the knit collar is of a different shade than the other knit parts. The thread used to attach the collar is white, as is the thread along the bottom hem on the rear of the jacket.

006.jpg
007-1.jpg

Last but not least, a solid example in size 42. This one appears not to have been patched. The sleeve decal is fairly strong.

008.jpg

All three jackets have Crown zippers with "paper clip" pullers on the mains and spring-loaded sleeve pullers. I'm not sure who the original manufacturers were as the original labels were replaced by the "Modified" type. I did notice that the size 40 jacket has a wider windflap than the others, if that helps in identifying the maker. Hope you enjoy the pics!

greyhound52

Jim,
Great looking jackets let me know if you get tired of the plain 42. I would say based on the side pocket crown that it is possible they are all Rolens. I have a 94 flight jacket book that shows a couple different MODs. Mine is probably a Lion uniform based on the puller and the side pocket crown. Yours looks just like my Rolen B-15D. Again fantastic group.

Weasel_Loader

Way to go Jim!!! As I stated in the PMs, I'm simply amazed at the nylon collection your bringing up. Love that patched Mod! Classic nylon in my book and love that thick name tape they used. :) Thanks for sharing and look forward to seeing the next treasures you come across. ;)

rich

Fantastic - good things do come in threes................. Jim is it possible to date them ( I don't mean take them out for dinner - but then you just might want to!)

watchmanjimg

rich said:
Fantastic - good things do come in threes................. Jim is it possible to date them ( I don't mean take them out for dinner - but then you just might want to!)

Thanks, Rich! I certainly wouldn't hesitate to wear one of these to dinner, but getting back to the serious part of your question I'm not sure. I don't believe we've ever pinned down the precise date that the B-15 modifications were called for, but if they were simultaneous to the introduction of the MA-1 I guess it would be mid-'50s. Of course, these jackets would have been manufactured in their original B-15D configuration sometime before this. Regarding actual use, I think the 48th FIS transitioned into the F-106 in the latter part of 1960 so the patched jacket was probably worn in service until that year at the very least.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Peter Graham said:
Three at once. Great stuff Jim. Did they all come from the same source ?

That's what I was wondering, had I missed something?

Three at once .... now that's collecting. :cool:

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
watchmanjimg said:
I don't believe we've ever pinned down the precise date that the B-15 modifications were called for, but if they were simultaneous to the introduction of the MA-1 I guess it would be mid-'50s. Of course, these jackets would have been manufactured in their original B-15D configuration sometime before this.

Sometime in 1953, I guess.

The last B-15D version (MIL-J-6251B) 13 JAN 1953.

MA-1 (MIL-J-8279) 27 SEP 1953.

164 Full Gear

watchmanjimg

deeb7 said:
Peter Graham said:
Three at once. Great stuff Jim. Did they all come from the same source ?

That's what I was wondering, had I missed something?

Three at once .... now that's collecting. :cool:

Glad you guys like the jackets. They all came from the same source, although probably not from the same veteran.

Maverickson

Wow Jim, way to go, what a nice brace of jackets! As I see it you put your best foot forward with that badged size 42 as it simply looks fantastic. Gotta love that nylon.
Cheers, Dave

USMC_GAU-21

Yeah well now I am drooling. :cry:

Nice scores Jim. I should send you my 1954 P-4A helmet! You would have it all then :!:

Nice nylon and I know that had to have set ya back a few jars of pennies, B-15 MODs are scarce, nice saves.

Dan

deand

I recently won an avirex reproduction of an MA-1, in blue, which I'm hoping to detail to make my own B-15c MOD "reproduction". Things like adding white thread around the neck knit, and getting spec size tags, which someone here indicated MASH provides but I can't really find the exact place on the net for them.
BfpUjPCGkKGrHqQH-EErfSsBV1MBLCLe-1.jpg

dean

deand

Thanks...but I can't see any black and gold size tags. :? But...they do have a bunch of other stuff I can use, so I really do appreciate the link. I forgot to search "mash-japan" when I went hunting.

dean

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
deand said:
Thanks...but I can't see any black and gold size tags. :?

You could make the MOD labels yourself, some were printed on a white cloth rectangle ... others appear to be typed, or even hand written.

dujardin

wow, Santa Claus is already there :lol:
good catch
nice one
can you make close up photos of the patches present on the first one?
first time i see such a name tag.
byeeeeeeee marcel

rich

deand said:
Thanks...but I can't see any black and gold size tags. :? But...they do have a bunch of other stuff I can use, so I really do appreciate the link. I forgot to search "mash-japan" when I went hunting.
dean

Bad picture, I'll do a sharp close-up later on, but as Deeb says it looks like it's been done with a typewriter.
b2.jpg

deand

Thanks for your help and that great photo. With assistance, I agree I can do it. The black and gold tag behind the typed one is still eluding me. The option I need to face is breaking down and buying a Rick like yours. Love to see more shots of that beauty of yours.

dean