• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

B-15 (modified) or MA-1

smithcorona

Firstly,

Hi everyone first post here.

I'm looking at adding a nylon jacket to my collection. Mainly this is due to me needing something warmer than just a leather jacket during Inland Northwest Winters.
I've become intrigued with the B-15 and MA-1. I prefer the modified version of the earlier jacket because I just don't think I could pull off a mouton collar.

What's everyone's thoughts on these two jackets? Anyone own one of Buzz Rickson's copies? I personally like the olive drab jacket but think that is only available in Japan.

Thanks for all the help and thanks for the great forum.

smithcorona

Peter Graham

Hi, welcome to the forum. If you're into nylon jackets you'll find a lot of like minded individuals here. I own a Buzz Rickson MA-1 which is a wonderful jacket and owned an Alpha replica B-15D (Mod) which was slightly less wonderful but still a great jacket. Here's the MA-1 thread.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2643

watchmanjimg

Welcome aboard! The B-15 and MA-1 are both magnificent jackets. Buzz Rickson's products are definitely available outside Japan; in fact, I just received my L-2 from History Preservation Associates this afternoon. I've had the blue B-15C Modified and it's a great jacket also. The OD version is still in the Buzz Rickson's catalog, although HPA does not offer it on their website. Here's their current selection, although you may want to give them a call to see what they have in stock:

http://historypreservation.com/hpassoci ... ding_2.php

Your best bet may simply be to find a good original MA-1. There are plenty of deals out there if you keep your eyes open. You're more than welcome to post any questions here as we'd be happy to help.

Jim

rich

I've bought a couple of BR nylon jackets recently and they appear to be incredibly well made. The more I wear the B-15C mod the more I like it - it's not bulky but feels very dense and is heavier than I imagined a nylon jacket could be. I hope to get the blue L-2 later this year for warmer weather.

I have one small concern, in that on their website BUZZ recommend you do not dry clean their jackets and the label only says to in order to keep things authentic. I think it also says only to spot clean as needed but I'm wondering if anyone has dry cleaned their jacket and what affect it had?

Mind how you go smithcorona, these things are addictive! :D :D :D

watchmanjimg

Hmmm, I hadn't been aware of the Buzz dry cleaning issue but I generally avoid it anyway. If a jacket absolutely must be dry cleaned then so be it, but in my experience the process beats the hell out of vintage gear. The knits and zipper tape seem particularly affected in most cases. I definitely agree with spot cleaning as needed.

rich

Thanks for that Jim - here's the bit I read from the BR website about dry-cleaning........

COTTON & NYLON:
Each Buzz Rickson User s flight Jacket has been made with great attention to every detail so that we can reproduce it as closely to the original as possible. Due to the natural materials in each garment, we recommend you do NOT wash the jackets in washing machines or at the cleaners (dry cleaning), nor do we recommend use of a dryer. Doing so can result in damage (shrinkage, transformation, color change, ink fading, etcノ) or entirely ruin the garment. If you need to clean your flight jacket, first spot test in a less obvious part of the jacket. Spot clean with a mild soap and cloth. Note this can lead to irregular coloring. CAUTION: In our effort to faithfully reproduce each detail, the main label says "DRY CLEAN ONLY. "In fact, we do NOT recommend this.

greyhound52

I have owned both BR MA-1 (their Lion Uniform contract) and the B-15D MOD. Both outstanding jackets. They don't make the MOD right now. They still make the B-15C MOD which I also have an is an excellent jacket. I would buy now rather than later because according to Charles at HPA the prices for BR stuff is going up due to the yen/dollar value.

Rich I agree that spot cleaning is the way to go. Dry cleaning just beats the heck out of vintage nylon. I don't know what it would do to BR jackets. I bought some stuff that is dry cleaning in a can ( Industrial Clean up Dry Cleaner by Sprayway). I got it on line never seen this product in the store. It works very well for spot cleaning nylon jackets. And yes (shock) I have washed a very very dirty nylon jacket in the washer with no ill effect. Just don't put it in the dryer. Take out (wash in cold water) and lay it out to dry and there should be no issues. I only recommend this in extreme cases.

dujardin

hellooooo and welcome aboard

you may consider both jacket.
personally i have a B15 for collector and a MA-1 that i enjoy very much, comfortable, resistant, and warm enough for the winter we knows today here in central Europe. but now that i have my (everyday) A2, i don't wear her , just keep her as collector

byeeeeeeee friendship from Belgium marcel

usafwso

I have a very nice high end dry clean in Las Vegas and have sent a pair of vintage D-1B and F-1B flight trousers that I use for snowboarding. Thus far, no issues.

As for BUZZ stuff, NEVER, NEVER.

MikeyB-17

Welcome! Where are you? If you're in the US then the HPA address already given is the way to go-in the UK it's Eastman leather Clothing:-

http://www.shopcreator.com/mall/eastman ... 3803-1.stm

I've had a Buzz B-15D in the past, beautiful jacket, and the mouton collar was actually very nice-and I'd always shied away from them for that very reason. One came up cheap, so I took a chance and was very pleased with it. Mine had been dry cleaned at some stage, which hadn't really done it any harm at all apart from a bit of fading to the shoulder decal.
Originals are plentiful on Ebay-don't discount the Alpha ones-their military issue ones from the '60's are damn good jackets-mine was a '65.