• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

B-10 quest

Dimitry M

I found out last winter it just got too cold for my A-2 :(. I am going to try to pull the trigger on getting a B-10 this winter. My budget is $450 ish. I’ve looked at the brand suggestions in other threads. But I don’t know what the jacket is actually like. The website doesn’t feed me the right “meat” per say. Some pictures show a collar that looks like a cheep rug but have great reviews and some look like an extremely soft blanket. I’m looking for something with a real lining and a real collar. And ideally something close in looks to the Dann clothing co. Contract. I.E. knit, shell, and collar color.

mulceber

My best advice for any of the cloth jackets is hop on eBay or Yahoo Japan and buy a used Buzz Rickson or Eastman. BR in particular can be had at a great value.

For what it’s worth, I really like the B-10 and B-15 series. They’re all EXTREMELY comfortable jackets, and very cozy in cold weather. I think you’ll be very happy with one of them.

Last edited:

B-Man2

Agree with Jans suggestion. Both are great jackets . If your budget is such that you’d like to keep your costs low, you can also check out a Bronson B-10 or B15. Both are reasonably accurate repros for the money and both are definitely warm jackets . I have one and it meets all of my needs in a repro for about $179.00 to $220.00.

Dany McDonald

Hello Dimity,

I agree with Jan BR are really nice reproductions. I have an almost new Buzz Rough Wear in size 40 to sell. Are you interested? I can send you images.

Keep me posted!

Dany

CBI

I can vouch for the Bronson B-15, a great jacket for the price. Not on the same level as the high end makers but I am very happy with mine. its close enough

Peter242

@Grant i´ve talked with @Pilot some times ago about a RealMcCoy B-10 and he mentioned that also Eastman doesn´t have complete alpaca-lining (they have a mixture like BR). But for the mentioned Budget i don´t think he´ll get a realMcCoy - so my suggetion would be:
1. Eastman
2. BR
3. Bronson

mulceber

Eastman doesn´t have complete alpaca-lining (they have a mixture like BR).

According to Flight Gear 1942-1945, original B-10s were lined with a 50/50 Alpaca and Wool blend, which is what ELC and BR both use. The texture of my BR B-15 is similar to my pair of original A-10 pants (which were lined with the same material as the cloth flight jackets). I think RMC just went for pure Alpaca as a luxury upgrade, something I've noticed they're prone to doing.

Last edited:

mulceber

No worries - I had to do some digging to find that. It just seemed weird to me that either ELC or BR (let alone both of them) would decide to use a cost-saving material like that, so I hit the books.

Dimitry M

Thanks for the good information! I’m a size 38. And I was trying to get something to match my A-9 trousers in color. The Bronson collar looks weird in there photos. Is that how it really is? I was considering an Aero but reviews are mixed on there cloth jackets.

Thomas Koehle

Hi Dmitry,

my BRONSON B15 - i'd recommend it

FFTs7vI.jpg

HBKoXXM.jpg

7vNn4V7.jpg

bRyw8gg.jpg

MTxk185.jpg

j8O8LMd.jpg

F830hW0.jpg

real fur
kKCQR83.jpg

7PFCQcs.jpg

a5eb5CL.jpg

FUVO1al.jpg

amJIGiH.jpg

Peter242

Thanks for the good information! I’m a size 38. And I was trying to get something to match my A-9 trousers in color. The Bronson collar looks weird in there photos. Is that how it really is? I was considering an Aero but reviews are mixed on there cloth jackets.
For me the lining of ther Aero is far away from beeing accurate....it nearly looks like the version from pike brothers.

Dany McDonald

This debate on Alpaca & B-10's is a recurring subject that has been covered a lot in the last couple of years. The blend but also the double-faced alpaca was mentioned as a detail found on original, B-10, A-9-10-11 trousers and B-11 Parka... etc.

About my BR Rough Wear B-10, it's definitely NOT synthetic but Alpaca or Wool and very close to the originals I own (A-9-10-11 trousers and B-11 Parka) lining in texture. I cannot check if its double-faced. If it's wool only I see no reason for it to be less warm than the thin Alpaca on the originals I own.

About the Alpaca density, I've noticed that only my original B-11 Parka has the thick Alpaca found on my BR B-10 but also my RM and Few. The original A-9-10 trousers have a rather thin Alpaca.

My BR Arnoff B-15 has a really thin Alpaca that feels almost exactly like my original trousers.

I don't think that we can base our assumptions on a single pattern or standard with originals but we can sure expect a specific contract to be reproduced in details by the 3 big witch is not always the case.

Dimitri ping me on PM if interested!

Here is a crappy photo...

EB-BR_RW-01.jpg

Dany.

Last edited:

Dany McDonald

I’m a size 38. And I was trying to get something to match my A-9 trousers in color.

Matching an original with a repro is a totally different ball game. Depending on how detailed you want to match it, you need to research and compare to get the proper kit....

Post an image or your trousers...

D