• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Awesome Estate sale find

bazelot

This is an early war "volcano earcups" Navy helmet with modified AN6530 goggles. I had never goggles modified that way. I assume it was for better fit of the Oxygen mask. The helmet is the Air Associate version of the M-450 which I did not even they made for the Navy. Very rare flight helmet and an incredible addition to my Navy flight helmet collection.
I also bought at the same sale the MKII goggles, the pilot's dog tags, another late war flight helmet with B-8 goggles, his throat mike, a bunch of framed squadron insignia (for flight jackets), 5 or six original framed pictures....
Needless to say I am very pleased with my purchased. I showed up at 6am and was the first in line.

helmet7.jpg

helmet8.jpg

helmet6.jpg

helmet5-1.jpg

helmet4-1.jpg

helmet3-1.jpg

helmet2-1.jpg

helmet1.jpg

helmet9.jpg

dujardin

really splendid
good catch

thanks to present this modified pair of goggles.

maybe this modification is not to make a better junction with oxy mask but simply to preserve the nose from the sun if (when) flying in open cockpit.
just my 2 cents.

byeeeeeeeeeeee marcel

Falcon_52

dujardin said:
maybe this modification is not to make a better junction with oxy mask but simply to preserve the nose from the sun if (when) flying in open cockpit.

That's an interesting thought, Marcel. I never considered that.

That's a really nice find. Congratulations. Thanks for sharing with us.

Noel

dmar836

Great score! It's nice, but rare for me, to bring something into the collector world from the "outside".
Interesting mod to the goggles. Never saw that done before.
Dave
Kansas City, USA