• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AVI LTHR's ANJ-3 Flight Jacket pics & review

Lorenzo_l

Well he’s a pocket down on the deal……
Mmm. No throat latch, but it has got collar snaps. A-2 style waistband. Can’t see much of the back, but I can’t see any sign of a half belt and it doesn’t look like a bi-swing. I think it leans more towards A-2 than a Navy jacket. Private purchase?
The waistband does not look to be of the single-ply rib & rack type from here. I agree with there not being a sign of a bi-swing back either. I am leaning towards a private purchase here. Nice jacket though...

Last edited:

mulceber

Does somebody around here have a source for G&F M-422a or original maker ANJ-3 reproduction labels?
I can already answer “no” on the AN-J-3 label, since no one’s ever seen an original AN-J-3 with a spec label. ;) It’s one of the mysteries of this jacket type that all the labels seem to have been removed, probably when the AAF pulled out of the project.

Last edited:

mulceber

ANJ's aside... I think the best would have been a regular A-2 with a simple single-panel bi-swing back. Still look cool, but easier/ more comfy to wear.
Agreed - the thing I think is actually superior about A-2 jackets is the blousing. Much more comfortable sitting down. An A-2, complete with the relaxed lower body, but with a bi-swing back would be a very comfortable jacket indeed.

Chandler

Gibson & Barnes made a repro of this jacket a good while back, Excellent quality. I posted it in Oct. '21 under "ANJ-3?"
I had Flight Suits (pre G&B) make me (what I call) an Ersatz ANJ from their modern G-1; basically their G-1 without a mouton collar... and collar snaps I specifically asked them NOT to add. :rolleyes:

I wore it this morning just because of this thread. Big on me anymore, and typical modern, uncharacterful hide, but it's a nice jacket.

I wonder why the big price
I think it'll suit everyone lol

@Bobo_the_Sailor Yes, AVI, 5* and Headwind all produced in Paks, different operations though Im sure.
I kinda wish there was a bit more transparency on the subject, like I get the appeal and prestige associated with 'made in the UK' but if you found some great people in Pakistan to make your jackets, why not say so and be proud about it instead of keeping it quiet?

very tempting for sure at this price point. I have been able to resist thus far...................:oops:
I wonder why the gaping price difference between this and the half belt?? This seems like a more complex design-though I could be wrong. Or is horsehide more expensive than goatskin?

mulceber

Definitely more expensive. The number of tanneries that deal with it are limited, and the number of hides that become available each year is also more limited. That wouldn't seem to explain the price gap though, since the horsehide A-2s are only about €30 more than the goatskin ones. I confess, I find the differing costs of the military jackets and the other ones a bit strange as well, as it doesn't seem to have to do with the hide or the difficulty of making the jacket. I'm told Navy jackets are much more difficult to make than A-2 jackets, but they're only €30 more expensive than the A-2.

Brettafett

Quick pic of the collar again.
Layered this today in some grotty weather and it was great.
ANV ANJ3 5:1022.JPG

Hi Brett,
Just now reading your great review. Does AVI sew elastic in the back panel if this jacket to help keep the bi swing from "bat winging"?