• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AVI LTHR's ANJ-3 Flight Jacket pics & review

mulceber

All Navy jackets have elastic in the action pleats designed to keep them shut most of the time. If they aren't shutting, it means the jacket's too tight.

All Navy jackets have elastic in the action pleats designed to keep them shut most of the time. If they aren't shutting, it means the jacket's too tight.
Agreed, my chest measures about 44". AVI's sizing chart for a size 44 chest measurement is pretty close to 47". Hopefully that would be enough.

Enigma1938

Agreed, my chest measures about 44". AVI's sizing chart for a size 44 chest measurement is pretty close to 47". Hopefully that would be enough.
It's strange with AVI's M422a which I own. I have usually a jacket size 42. I made the mistake that I ordered a 42 from AVI, this one was way too small / snug, so I changed it to a 44 but I have to say I'm still not 100% satisfied - probably should have gone to a 46. The leather on this jackets is also a little bit strange because it is kinda "stretchy" - means that when I grab the back panel on both sides for example I can stretch it to another 5 / 6 cm in the width without much force.... haven't experienced this with other jackets

Maybe the result of Chrome tanning vs veg. tanned? GIbson and Barnes went from Veg tanned to chrome tanned goat skin, both of which I have, and the chrome tanned goat is stretchy like that.

Regarding your m422a seizing, for reference, what is your chest measurement?

Last edited:

Harry Lime

Looking at the side by side pictures is the 422 a little more red brown? The ANJ-3 looks more neutral brown in comparison or is it just the photography?

I emailed AVI and it sounded like the ANJ was essentially the same jacket as their 422, but without the fur collar and the addition of epaulets. I assume that means the same leather and color

I have an Eastman G-1 that I purchased a few years ago, before prices went through the roof and it's a very dark chocolate with a hint of red. The ANJ-3 look a little more neutral middle brown...

I'm seriously thinking about ordering one of these ANJ-3. As nice as the Eastman G-1 is they run a little small. My 48 fits more like a 46-47 in the shoulders and across the chest. Waist is fine. AVI offers the ANJ-3 in a 48 and 50 that is more generously cut. Also the lack of the fur collar would make it more of an all season jacket.

thanks for the review

RAFpilot

Looking at the side by side pictures is the 422 a little more red brown? The ANJ-3 looks more neutral brown in comparison or is it just the photography?

I emailed AVI and it sounded like the ANJ was essentially the same jacket as their 422, but without the fur collar and the addition of epaulets. I assume that means the same leather and color

I have an Eastman G-1 that I purchased a few years ago, before prices went through the roof and it's a very dark chocolate with a hint of red. The ANJ-3 look a little more neutral middle brown...

I'm seriously thinking about ordering one of these ANJ-3. As nice as the Eastman G-1 is they run a little small. My 48 fits more like a 46-47 in the shoulders and across the chest. Waist is fine. AVI offers the ANJ-3 in a 48 and 50 that is more generously cut. Also the lack of the fur collar would make it more of an all season jacket.

thanks for the review

Hey Harry

ANJ-3 from AVI is dark seal brown and have brown rayon lining, while their M-422 is seal brown. I recently bought an M-422 from AVI and was really pleased. For spring or summer days I decided to also buy an ANJ-3 jacket. After discussing with Morten from AVI and others on the forum, "thanks Brett for the advice" i bought the same size as the M-422. For me personally, the ANJ-3 was a little too dark, so Morten made it for me in seal brown (the same as the M-422). The only fact is that if they make the color according to your wishes, you cannot return the jacket later if its too small or too big.

Have a good one

Last edited:

RAFpilot

Hey guys

I finally recieved my ANJ-3 flight jacket from AVI, and I'm really satisfied.
Because the color of the ANJ 3 jacket was too dark for me, I asked Morten if they could make it in seal brown.
And here it is, another great jacket in my collection.
What do you think fellas ? :)

Attachments

• 20240222_183449.jpg
    20240222_183449.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 82
  • 20240222_183455.jpg
    20240222_183455.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 83
  • 20240222_183717.jpg
    20240222_183717.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 84

Harry Lime

Hey Harry

ANJ-3 from AVI is dark seal brown and have brown rayon lining, while their M-422 is seal brown. I recently bought an M-422 from AVI and was really pleased. For spring or summer days I decided to also buy an ANJ-3 jacket. After discussing with Morten from AVI and others on the forum, "thanks Brett for the advice" i bought the same size as the M-422. For me personally, the ANJ-3 was a little too dark, so Morten made it for me in seal brown (the same as the M-422). The only fact is that if they make the color according to your wishes, you cannot return the jacket later if its too small or too big.

Have a good one
Hey, thanks for reply. I'll give your color choice on the ANJ a little thought and may follow in your footsteps.

All the best.