• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AVI Leather jacket sizing problem and return

coolhandluke

For the pit to pit, I think you are correct that it's a good way to determine chest size. But I think it's more like the chest size of the jacket itself, but not the chest size of the people who actually wear it. I didn't purchase WW2 repro jacket before and I don't know how much longer the jacket should have comparing with my own chest size. Now I know that and I think probably it should be 8 cm ~10 cm longer than my actually chest size. That is, if my chest size is 108 cm, then the leather jacket I purchased should have chest size of 118 cm, which is pit to pit size of 58 or 59 cm.

A general rule of thumb with an A2 is that you want to choose a jacket size that is at least 4" larger in the chest than your actual chest measurement. 6" is even acceptable, if you want to have extra room for layering. Had you gone with a size 46 in an Avi A2, the chest circumference is approximately 46.5", which would give you the much needed 4".

As you've already mentioned, USN jackets are a little more forgiving due to their sleeve construction and bi-swing back, but I'd still add at least 3" to your chest measurement and round up if between sizes.

Jtrob

A general rule of thumb with an A2 is that you want to choose a jacket size that is at least 4" larger in the chest than your actual chest measurement. 6" is even acceptable, if you want to have extra room for layering. Had you gone with a size 46 in an Avi A2, the chest circumference is approximately 46.5", which would give you the much needed 4".

As you've already mentioned, USN jackets are a little more forgiving due to their sleeve construction and bi-swing back, but I'd still add at least 3" to your chest measurement and round up if between sizes.
Good advice, thanks for sharing.

Brettafett

Thanks for your suggestions. I think probably I will go to portland to this Headwind factory in person and try their jacket, 3 hours driving.

Also have question that, for these leather jacket, when we talk about "break in", dose it mean even we have a suiting perfect jacket we still need to wear it often so that it can be soft, or mean that we can never have a suiting perfect jacket but we need to wear it until we get used to it?

And for the AVI leather jacket, I previous found one of your post, and found that the color of your bronco A-2 russet jacket is different than what I have now. It looks like yours are more colorful and bright (seem like there a layer of wax and oil on it), but mine is kind of plain.

https://www.vintageleatherjackets.org/threads/avi-lthr-bronco-a-2-jacket-review-pics.20936/ I think yours have a better color. Is it different version?
Those were AVI's Bronco's from way back, the ones they have now are different, they changed supplier at some point.
I have not seen their current russet version, I only have the seal.

These leather jackets can be comfy out the box or a little stiff sometimes, depending on the leather and /or pattern (some contracts are more forgiving than others)
Leather by nature will flex and give. These jackets will loosen up and mould to your body, the more you wear them.
They just get better and better.

jwamznalx

That's correct, 4'' to 6'' larger than my actual chest size. This rule should be pined to the top of this forum lol. (maybe it's already there but I just missed)

jwamznalx

Those were AVI's Bronco's from way back, the ones they have now are different, they changed supplier at some point.
I have not seen their current russet version, I only have the seal.

These leather jackets can be comfy out the box or a little stiff sometimes, depending on the leather and /or pattern (some contracts are more forgiving than others)
Leather by nature will flex and give. These jackets will loosen up and mould to your body, the more you wear them.
They just get better and better.
yeah. I just tried that G-1 again and tried hard to squeeze my belly, and I think that looks good. I like the jacket in a kind of slim fit way. I'm going to wear this G-1 more days while I tried to loose my weight. But the A-2 I have to return it since the shoulder and chest too tight.

I think I prefer the color of your bronco A-2. Not sure where else can I find the same style of A-2 as yours. 5 * maybe?

Saint-ex

For the pit to pit, I think you are correct that it's a good way to determine chest size. But I think it's more like the chest size of the jacket itself, but not the chest size of the people who actually wear it. I didn't purchase WW2 repro jacket before and I don't know how much longer the jacket should have comparing with my own chest size. Now I know that and I think probably it should be 8 cm ~10 cm longer than my actually chest size. That is, if my chest size is 108 cm, then the leather jacket I purchased should have chest size of 118 cm, which is pit to pit size of 58 or 59 cm.
It's not related to WWII jacket or repro. Pit to pit, with shoulder and arm length is the best way to have right size clothes.
I use it for all kind of jacket, shirt, sweater etc...

I never trust the size tag, because I wear L to XXL clothes.

Thomas Koehle

I sold this jacket because the fit bugged me- just too close to perfect fit- looked good still but it felt skimpy if I moved. It always felt 1/2 sizr too small- but I think it's the way many people here on the forum like their stuff- and totally within WW2 photographic justification- there are many pictures of guys wearing even smaller jackets...
View attachment 128081
you look sharp mate

Skyhawk

This is good advice. That is something that a lot of people don't understand. This extra allowance is called "Loosening" by many pattern makers. If you were a size 40 and put on a jacket with an actual 40" chest, you may not even get it to zip up. You certainly could not move in it.

A modern loose fit is around 4" Loosening in the chest. The original A-2's were much less than that measurement. In other words, they run about 1/2 to a full size smaller than a modern jacket. I have most of the charts for the original A-2 contracts and it is very interesting the differences in measurements with the different patterns. They were all fairly close but with enough variance to fit differently depending on the pattern.

OZ75

Hi everyone,

I just purchased two jacket from AVI leather. One is Russet Bronco A-2, the other one is G-1. Both of them have size of 44.

About myself. I'm 180cm (5 feet and 10.9 inches). I'm 200 lbs. My chest is 42.5 inch, and my arm is 26 inch (this is the arms boundaries, not the arms length). I found that the jacket with the sizing of 44 from AVI leather is too tight for me.

The G-1 jacket, it's tight on chest level, especailly when I fully zipped up. But the arms of their G-1 are a little bit longer. I found the shoulder and the back length are perfect. I can move my arms forward easily, but cannot move my arms backword too much. (probably because of the design of the G-1 has some extra space on the back part)

The A-2 jacket, it's even more tight on chest level. Also the shoulder is too narrow. I can hardly zip up the jacket, and my arms can not move smooth with the zipped jacket. However, based on their sizing chart, it shows that the arms length of this A-2 bronco jacket is even longer than the G-1. That means if I purchase a larger size of A-2 jacket, I might be able to have a perfect shoulder, but the arm lengths will be much longer.

Now I want to make a exchange to have a different size of these two jacket from AVI leather. I have several questions. If anyone can help with that will be great and I'll really appriciate it!
  1. I think the sizing of their brand is a little bit weird. I previously bought the jacket from alpha industries, cockpit usa, san diego leather jacket factory, etc. Everytime I will buy the same size (40 or M) and it would perfect suit me. I not sure why the sizing of AVI leather is much different than other brand. Even 44 can not suit me. Does anyone have better ideas?
  2. If I want to have an exchange, what size should I buy? For example, the 44 sizing G-1 jacket have tight chest, long arms, perfect shoulder and back. If I buy the 46 size of G-1, then I might have a perfect chest, shoulder and back can be fine, but the arms will be too long for a jacket. Also If I buy a 46 size of A-2 jacket, I might have a better chest and shoulder, but the arms wIll be too long for me as well. Does anyone have better ideas?
  3. For return or exchange, I'm in USA and I have to mail it back to Denmark. The AVI leather mail these two jacket to me through DHL. I got a free quote from DHL online and it told me I need to pay at least 377 dollars to mail items back to Denmark. It's just too much and I can just buy a new one. Does anyone previously return or exchange the jacket from AVI leather? What kind of mailing did you use?

Thanks again if anyone can share some experiences and ideas. This is my first post in this forum. Hope everyone can have a great Thanksgiving holiday!
Hi Jwamznalx:

first of all, happy Thanksgiving holidad :)

Well, about your points. I've had a similar experience like you this year, but it has happened with G1. I can tell ya that AVI Leather has some kinda weird "size table" or aren't the same as other brands (I use all my other jackets from Alpha). To wrap-up, I've written to the support and I've send it back, then after around 2 weeks laters they've sent me the new one (originally I've bought 42 and they've changed for a 44) which fits me perfect...by the way, I'm 5'7 and I'm 161 lbs.
On the other hand, I've wanted to buy a A-2 and I've written the support and explained that G1 size 44 fits me perfect and they've recomended me to buy a size 46 (cuz the A-2 in comparison to G1 are tight in the shoulders).
In comparison to you, I'm living in Germany, therefore the DHL costs weren't to expensive as you've explained.

Again in my experience, AVI support answers relative fast and they try to help the customer. I don't know if you've written them and explained them the situation an ask them for they size recommendation (that would be my suggestion). I know, it could be complicate and annoing it, but would be usefull if you can express the measures in inches and centimerters.

I wish you good luck with it and best regards from Germany :)