• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AVG Footlocker on Ebay the real deal??????

dmar836

Obviously a fake "tribute" piece worth the price of a ruined foot locker. Only valuable to someone not interested in authentic items IMO. In other words, only someone not familiar with real war art would think this is an investment piece - think P-40 nose ceiling fan.
The "dialect" statement is the most believable as it is true of much wartime art even into Korea.
Looks too much like one of the tribute jacket paintings and the tiger claw scratches are a post-80s style. That kind of kitsche just wasn't around then. Was a well-done and fun project for someone but criminal to claim it's period authenticity.

Interestingly, Yahoo answers said,
"Kitsch /kɪtʃ/ is a term of German or Yiddish origin that has been used to categorize art that is considered an inferior, tasteless copy of an existing style. The term is also used more loosely in referring to any art that is pretentious to the point of being in bad taste, and also commercially produced items that are considered trite or crass."

A perfect description of some of this "tribute" stuff IMO.

JMO, as usual,
Dave

ADC

Interesting he says the Chinese characters are a different dialect and cannot be read today. Chinese is unique written language that can be read in all languages and dialects that use the characters. Works this way. If Europe used Chinese characters then the same newspaper can be read in Norway, England, Spain and everywhere else but will be read verbally in ones own language. That's the way it works in China, no matter what language they speak and there are many in China, they can all read the same newspaper.

a2jacketpatches

Actually, the most recent generations of Chinese cannot read all of the pre-1945 Mandarin. the older folks seemed pleasantly surprised to see a blood chit when I was on the hunt for someone to write them for me and were happy to translate. How to go about writing the characters is a common knowledge and any Chinese could most likely render a character perfectly even if they had no idea what it means. At least this is my understanding after asking several around their 30's and 40's who go out back to get the old timer to help. Fortunately, I met my lovely wife who just looks at my book and jams em out quicker that poop through a tin horn.

As for the artwork, a nice tribute piece and well done.

a2jacketpatches

He doesn't call it an original, just that his Grandfather owned it and it was tested for lead paint. Looks like the Chinese stylized "FLYING TIGERS" from the John Wayne movie so his entire description is totally believable. Think I'm missing the tiger claw scratches that date it post 80's But the patina, dings and scratches overall seem as real as can be. Could very well have been done any time from the 50's on based on the artwork and condition. I'll bet it was copied from early model kit box top is what it looks like IMO. I just sent photos out to my guy at the language center in China, he's able to translate any name into pre-1945 Mandarin so He'll probably solve that mystery in a day or two.

Can't give footlockers away for the most part unless there's something unique about them, so it's a good example of re-purposing and item that'll most likely get bounced around forever til it falls apart or turns to dust. Pretty sure he'll never get the asking price, but I'd value the piece at about 300- It is what it is, and kinda cool.

dmar836

His wording and price, then, is obviously misleading. Sad.
I have a Mandarin friend and I took a B-4 bag to her to interpret. She said it was an old dialect.
She could interpret "good luck" and the like, but was unable to tell me what it said verbatim.
That concept is the least of this piece's issues.
Dave

a2jacketpatches

Agreed, to someone who isn't very knowledgeable about this stuff, they may assume a little too much as he doesn't come right out and say it. But on the other hand, a reminder that you gotta do your homework if serious about buying vintage military. Being posted here is a perfect example, whoever may be fooled otherwise by this item is spending the time on VLJ to learn. Personally, I'm glad that dabblers learn some lessons the hard way, it leaves more open to the guys that put in the time and effort and separates the men from the boys in military picking. Nothing goes up my *** more than a guy trying to beat me on something, then asks what it's worth, what it is, etc. etc. Not talking about a guy that's genuinely interested, I'm happy to offer whatever I can. But a lot of the guys I know out there do not join the forums or buy the books I recommend. Just a quick buck for them. These days......"I don't know" is my standard answer.

ADC

It is worth noting that old style Chinese characters are still used in Hong Kong and Taiwan. Very few people in mainland China can now read them well as modern simplified characters were introduced during the Mao era. On the other hand not all people in Hong Kong or Taiwan as well as many long standing overseas Chinese can understand modern simplified characters.
I collect Chinese antiques which is even a more dangerous collecting field than militaria. Quite often fakes appear purporting to be ancient with modern characters and numerals. It is surprising how many inexperienced collectors are caught out.