• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Authenticating Cooper A2 flight jacket

Michael T

I purchased what paperas to be a Cooper A2 brown leather jackrr. In addition i typed up the CSN and it was authenticated but i have a problem. Looking at the laundry tags, it says Shell is 65% manmade fibra and 30% wool and 5% the fibers which lead me to believe its not leather. On the other tag however, it says Do not Wash or dry clean by fabric methods, take to leather expert. So what is the truth?
20231013_151707.jpg

Attachments

• 20231013_151553.jpg
    20231013_151553.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 114
  • 20231013_151741.jpg
    20231013_151741.jpg
    834.5 KB · Views: 105

Pilot

Civi jacket made by Cooper based on their military version, with the „ Saddlery „ tag.
The laundry tag is only for the liner.
The hide is mostly goatskin, even if some HH or steerhide versions existed.
The CSN ( Contract Stock Number ) is only as a reference and does not mean issued to US Armed forces.
Orange or blue labeled Coopers are always civilian… only their look is military or looks issued… but these ( with those orange or blue tags were never issued ).

Last edited:

Pilot

Here mine „issued from OSAN USAF Airbase „ early 1990s.
Velcros for name patch and squadron patch.
Brown USAF leather name tag .. with velcro support.
With me right now in Jakarta and KL
1A985AD9-8B7D-4BF2-8E7E-401A96822EFB.jpeg
93F6EB6F-30EF-4077-A743-043BD2F42C81.jpeg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:

Pilot

Thank both of you for that clarification. I greatly appreciate it
Welcome and a pleasure.
BTW, nowadays the ( formally) issued versions of the Cooper A-2 with the white ( the „ Saddlery „) label are floding the internet markets and hence available for ridiculous low price tags .They are often in very good condition and in almost all sizes ever flown.
Good hunting!

Michael T

Welcome and a pleasure.
BTW, nowadays the ( formally) issued versions of the Cooper A-2 with the white ( the „ Saddlery „) label are floding the internet markets and hence available for ridiculous low price tags .They are often in very good condition and in almost all sizes ever flown.
Good hunting!
Thank you pilot, good to know