• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Authentic replica of "The Careful Virgin"

442RCT

Is "authentic replica" an oxymoron ?
We were discussing politically correct art work on patches and jackets in another thread. I'm pretty sure this art would qualify as being not for wearing in public. Not because of the girl, but because of the "Careful Virgin" logo.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dl ... SS:US:1123

Would I buy it ? Probably... but definitely NOT at the price the seller is asking...I can't believe he originally paid $ 2710.00 for it....ouch! :roll:

deand

442RCT said:
We were discussing politically correct art work on patches and jackets in another thread. I'm pretty sure this art would qualify as being not for wearing in public. Not because of the girl, but because of the "Careful Virgin" logo.

Would I buy it ? Probably... but definitely NOT at the price the seller is asking...I can't believe he originally paid $ 2710.00 for it....ouch! :roll:

Indeed, way too much! :shock: I wonder if he was under the impression that it was genuine when he bought it? :cry:

dean

Persimmon

deand said:
442RCT said:

Indeed, way too much! :shock: I wonder if he was under the impression that it was genuine when he bought it? :cry:

dean

At $1500 buy now he is looking at getting out quickly with a big loss and thats if he will be offered that sum.
I do not seem the value in that sum for a painted repro
Who is the maker, who did the artwork.
Would help with further pictures

johnwayne

Somehow I wouldn't have a problem wearing it if it was genuine/original as I really like that Vargas type artwork plusI feel I could justify wearing should anyone I know have 'issues' about me wearing it but it's not one I'd have as a repro - nothing to do with the naked lady (far from it) or the usage of the name - it just conjurs up all those nasty Avirex printed jackets that it might get mistaken for!!

I certainly would have issues about the prices though, current financial climate or not!!!

cheers
Wayne

ghq1

5475330770_5216157aaa_z.jpg

RCSignals

Persimmon said:

At $1500 buy now he is looking at getting out quickly with a big loss and thats if he will be offered that sum.
I do not seem the value in that sum for a painted repro
Who is the maker, who did the artwork.
Would help with further pictures

apparently the maker is Real McCoy
Real Mccoy WWII A2 Flight Jacket

But for what he wants he definitely need better photos and detail

Peter Graham

Err, no one has mentioned the swastikas as being potentially offensive, just the artwork, interesting. The guy in the photo is Joseph J Conley. He was a waist gunner in "The Careful Virgin", a B-17F which was attached to the 91st bomb group. It completed 80 missions before being used in the the unsuccessful "Operation Aphrodite", crashing before reaching the target. Conley had by then transferred to the 401st bomb group, hence the wording on the photo. The shoulder decal on the repro is incorrect. The jacket is way too early in the war.