• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Astronaut Fred Haise jacket

watchmanjimg

You got me. That's a type I've never seen before. It's neither an MA-1 nor L-2B. Perhaps a NASA-specific design?

USMC_GAU-21

These were Lockheed made jackets. Following the L-2B/MA-1 design. Yes they were cloth with flight satin International orange on the inside. I have a shot of John Glenn in one of these I will dig it up.....damn HDD to big gotta find my pics.

r/Gunny

Willy McCoy

I have one of these jackets that I bought on a whim on eBay. Size medium long. Completely reversible and identical inside right down to the cigarette pocket. It is NOT a synthetic lining but rather all cotton twill. Labeled: FLITE-WEAR by LAND MFG. CO. Wichita Kansas, military size and weave, black & gold nomenclature tag. Gleb has seen my jacket and may be able to add anything other specifics. I believe they issued these jackets to Astronauts so they could keep up to date with their required flight hours and of course test pilots. I also have two other "test pilot" cloth jackets of an late fifties/early sixties vintage that also have all the same features plus the oxygen hose clamp pads (SLATE COLORED OUTSIDE-ORANGE INSIDE) that were MFG'd by =FRUHAUF= FLYING APPAREL <CONTRACTORS TO THE U.S. AIR FORCES> <FRUHAUF SOUTHWEST UNIFORMS> Wichita 2 Kansas U.S.A. Nomenclature tag is the same size, color and weave as the military. The last were from an estate of a test pilot.