• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Asking for Assistance Identifying These WW2 Unit Patches

CBI

In relation to my recent thread regarding the large WW2 painted leather patch collection, I have identified all 100+ but these 14 patches. A few of them looking very familiar but I can’’t seem to find info anywhere. A few can easily be deduced what type of unit but specific unit? I believe most all should be AAF units. Any help will be welcome and appreciated - thanks!

IMG_8180.jpg

IMG_8177.jpg

IMG_8175.jpg

IMG_8172.jpg

IMG_8170.jpg

IMG_8168.jpg

IMG_8167.jpg

unclegrumpy

Here are five of them....

355th Troop Carrier Squadron... Three Parachutes

El Torro MCAS.... The Winged Bull

87th Fighter "Inferne Ibimus"

550th Bomb Squadron... The porcupine with the bomb

636th Bombardment Squadron/518th Fighter-Bomber Squadron....Rooster on the Bomb

unclegrumpy

You are welcome!

A couple of these are going to be like the 636th Bombardment Squadron/518th Fighter-Bomber Squadron, approved designs for units that either were only in existence for a short time in training, or possibly never actually formed up in WW II. The 518th reformed after the war, and used its earlier approved design....which is why I remembered it.

A

Anonymous

The bull with the bombs 506th fighter squadron. Bombs usually denote bomb squadron but not in this case.

unclegrumpy

chitchat said:
The bull with the bombs 506th fighter squadron. Bombs usually denote bomb squadron but not in this case.

Nice job finding this one! You can see from their history where the bombs got into their design.

Constituted 620th Bombardment Squadron (Dive) on 25 Jan 1943. Activated on 4 Feb 1943. Redesignated: 506th Fighter-Bomber Squadron on 10 Aug 1943; 506th Fighter Squadron on 30 May 1944. Inactivated on 9 Nov 1945. Redesignated 185th Fighter Squadron, and allotted to ANG, on 24 May 1946

A

Anonymous

On your initial post lightining bolt bird with wings holding bomb 389th fighter bomber.

A

Anonymous

Prior post looks like a bobcat with two lightining bolts crossing with stars 5th fighter interceptor.

CBI

thanks so much - just 6 to go:

see pics above

funny owl shaped one

cloud man with shield

short with soldier

ram with broken arrow

bomb and explosion

new age glider with guns!

A

Anonymous

Can't believe I found the plane glider ? in the swirl firing guns. 329th fighter squadron.

CBI

Great - thanks - down to 4

bomb and explosion

Ram and arrow

Cloud Man with Shield

Funny Shaped Owl

EMBLEMHUNTER

Probably by now they've all been ID's but I'll post them anyway in progression of you posting from left to right 1st postin downward,
VMF(N)-532 & 329th Fighter Sqd
400th Bombardment Sqd & 518th Fighter Bomber Sqd
355th Troop Carrier Sqd(M) and 13th Fighter Interceptor Sqd
400th Fighter Sqd & 471st Bombardment Sqd
MCAS El Toro (Base Emblem) & 25th Weather Sqd
550th Bombardment Sqd & 506th Fighter Bomber Sqd
32nd Pursuit Sqd & 20th Troop Carrier Sqd

I'd have had them posted sooner , but have been busy with a lot of various things , hope this helps !
Johnny/Emblemhunter

EMBLEMHUNTER

O.K. CBI , there ya goo all ID'd , glad to help and PLEASE remember ANYTIME you have emblems like this and need ID's send me scans or at least a e mail saying to look on the forum for your postings, I really enjoy doing this and it's no trouble , I live ,eat,drink sleep emblem searches !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Johnny/Emblemhunter