• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Army Patches on a repro

BarnCats

I've seen repros of General Patton's B3 (I think) with his 1st Armored Division and 3rd Army patches. I'm not a pilot...but I've "flew" or been "flight crew" (lol) on quite a few armored and mechanized vehicles in my career.

Have any of you non pilot types sewn your Army (or other service) patches on a flight jacket? How did it turn out? (please post pics if you'd like)

I wore a bunch of different patches, but by far my favorite was the non subdued 2nd Armored Division patch. (see below).

General Patton:

FullSizeRender.jpg

Second Armored Division unit patch:

us-army-2nd-armored-division-military-patch-color.jpg

B-Man2

Hi BC
Several here have jackets that we’ve patched either as jackets representative of our service or a loved ones service or as a tribute jacket to a particular person , or movie hero . ( Top gun jacket) However, there are a couple of different schools of thought on this as most have found that if you ever become bored with the jacket or decide to sell it, a patched jacket or one with the patch removed and has stitch holes in the leather is worth significantly less than an un patched jacket and is difficult to sell. As a result many of us patch nylon jackets rather than leather ones . It’s all up to you . I personally do not stitch patches on leather jackets but instead used a good double sided tape to hold patches in place as pictured below . With care you can remove the patches and not damage the jacket .
FF25CE7E-14B9-469D-9079-33C99EF4E66D.jpeg

leper-colony

In the late 80s had an early Vanson A-2 made that went immediately to be painted and the finish actually was taken of by tape used in masking for the art. I was not told by the artist till after. He went to Vanson and had them fix it (he was a friend).

B-Man2

In the late 80s had an early Vanson A-2 made that went immediately to be painted and the finish actually was taken of by tape used in masking for the art. I was not told by the artist till after. He went to Vanson and had them fix it (he was a friend).
Hi LC :)
You are correct to a degree . If you put too much tape on or if you don’t go slowly when removing the patch it can damage the finish of the leather of the jacket .
That was why I posted my last sentence:

“ With care you can remove the patches and not damage the jacket”

Last edited:

ausreenactor

Have one B-10 with an 82nd patch. And I have a stunning USS Atule patch from Ties on a Deck Hook. Never had the balls to patch a repro A-2. Did put our CH-47D Rotary Wing Group patch and a name plate on a 1988 Saddlery A-2. It is in a box somewhere.

Aside from that only jacket art, painted direct to the jacket. 'Murder Inc', 'King of the Heavies' and now 'The Eager Beaver'.

leper-colony

Hi LC :)
You are correct to a degree . If you put too much tape on or if you don’t go slowly when removing the patch it can damage the finish of the leather of the jacket .
That was why I posted my last sentence:

“ With care you can remove the patches and not damage the jacket”

Sure. :)

He was using care and he said it took a lot of the finish off.

Said another way your mileage will vary.

BarnCats

Hi BC
Several here have jackets that we’ve patched either as jackets representative of our service or a loved ones service or as a tribute jacket to a particular person , or movie hero . ( Top gun jacket) However, there are a couple of different schools of thought on this as most have found that if you ever become bored with the jacket or decide to sell it, a patched jacket or one with the patch removed and has stitch holes in the leather is worth significantly less than an un patched jacket and is difficult to sell. As a result many of us patch nylon jackets rather than leather ones . It’s all up to you . I personally do not stitch patches on leather jackets but instead used a good double sided tape to hold patches in place as pictured below . With care you can remove the patches and not damage the jacket .

Thanks for the input. Some good pointers to keep in mind.