• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ARMY AIR CORPS FLYING JACKET STYLE Horsehide *MYSTERY*

Peter Graham

Very nice. Judging by the label I'd say that it's wartime or just after. No offence but I would have started it lower. Civilian A-2's usually go for way below the price of issued jackets.

zoomer

Were such things obtainable during WW2 by civilians with enough clothing coupons?

Could it have been an AAF (all right, AAC) private purchase item?

AIUI, there was little to no market for new A-2s just after the war. There were so many used ones around that guys wore them to paint houses.

Maybe it's the first ever repro! :lol:

TankBuster

I've seen these before. They are wartime. When the AAF started running short on A-2 jackets to issue guys, they apprently bought some civilian type A-2 jackets from different sources. They then put this label in them. I've seen them with one and 2 piece backs. Normally from the front they look just like a regular A-2. I was always unsure of them until I came across a grouping to a 15th AAF P-38 pilot that had wartime pictures of him wearing the jacket with the exact same label and a 2 piece back.

TankBuster

David,
It could be, but why I don't think so is because of the variations in jacket construction in the few that I have seen.
Just a theory on my behalf.

asiamiles

Personally I don't buy that theory. The label doesn't look the sort of thing the AAF would put into an existing jacket, and if so there should be evidence of an original label being removed. I would guess it's just a civi jacket in the style of A-2 and likely late 40's or even early 50's as I'd have thought that a call/need/desire for A-2 copies wouldn't have arisen until a few years after the end of the war? I also think it's steerhide.

I agree with Peter re. the pricing. Not to say that it isn't as nice as an A-2 that might go for 5x the price, but you should probably be starting this at $99 if you want it to sell. Of course, someone might be pursuaded it's the real deal and shell out, so maybe it's worth a try.

TankBuster

I luckily have photos filed of the 15th Pilot wearing the jacket. I'll post them tomorrow since they are on my work desktop. I don't own the jacket, I just found it interesting and filed away photos of it.

TankBuster

ppurchase-1.jpg

ppurchase1-1.jpg

ppurchase3-1.jpg

ppurchase2.jpg

ppurchase4.jpg

ppurchase5.jpg

TankBuster

This one isn't mine Tim. I was offered it years ago, and got to speak with the vet, but we couldn't get together on a price, which was pretty high.

Peter Graham

Thanks for the photos Jeff. So there was a standardized label of sorts for civilian jackets that were issued. Very interesting.

asiamiles

Very interesting, and one can see a few stitch holes above the label, but surely the Air Force wouldn't put "Genuine Cowhide" on the label...maybe the maker simply changed the label to "sell" the jacket?

From this evidence it seems to me more likely that there was a company (and maybe more than one) who during the war satisfied a demand for those back home who wanted "a jacket like our boys in the air wear," and that at least this one example found its way into the hands of a pilot. If I was wrong about the date it seems I was probably right about the type of leather.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
asiamiles said:
From this evidence it seems to me more likely that there was a company (and maybe more than one) who during the war satisfied a demand for those back home who wanted "a jacket like our boys in the air wear," and that at least this one example found its way into the hands of a pilot. If I was wrong about the date it seems I was probably right about the type of leather.

During the war, as well as before, and after ... and many of those supplying the civilian market also held military contracts. Among the known makers are Aero, Rough Wear, McGregor (Doniger), Werber, Knopf, Karl Ort, Air Associates ....

dujardin

thanks for the photos Jeff,

jacket of the photo is greattttttttttttt
what a nice and large patch on the back....splendid

this give me an idea Tiesssssssssssss i will pm you

the model i ask Mark to realise for me is based on a jacket that the seller say she was buy and worn by a pilot during the war....
soooooooooooo maybe the price the seller ask is not so high finally.
i will search again this jacket, not to buy her of course just to continue the discussion on civy jacket.

this is the link, he lowered the price

http://cgi.ebay.com/WWII-HORSE-HIDE-LEA ... 56390a7781

and my question, a civy jacket used by a guy in combat or simply during the war period, can we consider her as a real USAAF collector ?
as remarked, sold for less than an issued A2, so, could be of interest for someone like me with ''small'' financial possiblity.

but if someone saw such a civy jacket certified used by a vet, with document and or photo; will the price be so high as it was an A2 ???
offer and demand, seller and buyer

wowwwwwwww thanks again Jeff

Thanks for the info JeffK. Ive added some of your info to the listing, and am delighted that you have been able to
confirm that you have seen this same label actually on an original WW2 jacket. Of course the mystery of label, and details relating to its history remain a mystery
and as such are very interesting. Im going to leave the opening bid $499.
thanks

Dan

TankBuster

Marcel and Dan, no problem, glad to help.

I forgot to mention that the vet was issued this jacket by the AAF.
There are surely some questions, but I think it opens the door to some possibilities regarding jackets with this label.
Dans jacket is now the 4th one I have seen with this style of label, and all the jackets looked different

asiamiles

TankBuster said:
I forgot to mention that the vet was issued this jacket by the AAF.

Dans jacket is now the 4th one I have seen with this style of label, and all the jackets looked different

Both interesting points to consider. But what is the answer? Can VLJ get to the bottom of it?