• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Armholes on Aero Highwayman

Cordwangler

I've searched using various keywords and can't find the answer I'm looking for. I'll be brief, so that I don't bore those who've heard it asked 100000000000000000 times before.

Can anyone tell me how high the armholes are cut on an Aero Highwayman? I'm looking for a jacket with plenty of arm movement and wouldn't want a saggy low-cut sleeve. How do people feel about the Highwayman's armholes?

Cheers.

Apologies, again, for making this first post an 'anxious ask'!

A

Anonymous

Hi,
I suggest you call Will at Aero directly. He doesn't bite !!

Also, this ought really to be in the Moto section as this is not a flight jacket. No biggie but there are other topics on the forum. :)

Dave :ugeek:

Cordwangler

Thanks for that.

Sorry for mis-posting. I generally do this at least once when joining a new forum. :oops:

Aero are brilliant. But I always like a second opinion!

A

Anonymous

No worries about the 'miss-post'. We all do it. Several members on here do it on purpose just because they get worried that no-one will read their post if they put it where it should be. ;)

I've had several Highwayman jackets and all I can say is that I don't have a problem with their armholes. I think you'll be hard-pressed to get a technical opinion on here as they are not a popular jacket on this forum. Paddy over on the Fedora Lounge is a real Aero expert but as he's great mates with Will (As he should be bearing in mind he's one of the website models!) you will struggle to get a fully independant opinion.

Will is definately the man.
Welcome aboard ! :) BTW

Cheers,

Vcruiser

Oh..I think that you can get a technical opinion here about the Aero Highwayman. Several of us own them(as well as Half Belts..etc)..where Paddy on the FL doesn't. Trouble is..seems we're getting too many Chiefs..and not enough Indians on the VLJ.
In any event here's a pic...

100_0411.jpg

The arm holes are cut larger than the higher set sleeves of the A2...or Aero's '30s style jackets. In more of a '50s style....but I wouldn't say the sleeve is saggy...just not as trim. In fact out of all my Aero jackets...Hwymn...HB...Levis..etc...the Highwayman remains my usual "go to". It is just plain comfortable to wear(once broken in!).
Van

Cordwangler

Glad to be here, JH.

And thanks, VC. I definitely count as an Indian in VLJ terms and because I'm originally from the Far East... Anglia, that is. I'm looking for a 'go to' jacket, so you've given me something positive to go on.

At this point, I'm weighing up the benefits of the Highwayman and the Route 66, as both appeal to me.

Cheers

CW

rich

I agree with Van, the Highwayman is a comfortable and hard-wearing jacket - once it's broken in a little. I've had problems with other jackets pinching under the arms or tight on shoulders etc, but not with the HWM. I would only suggest you speak to someone at aero before you order, that way you'll be helped with the right fit for you. Good luck with your choice!

A

Anonymous

Van,
too many chiefs ? What does that mean ? Are the native Americans revolting ?

Cordy, go with the Highwayman. A LOT less weight than a bi-swing back in FQHH IMH non-chief / injun opinion. Also less stiff. I assumed from your original post you might have been looking for measurements or proportions for the armholes which are best gotten from the maker. In non technical parlance, the sleeves allow you to put your arms through them ! :lol: They are not restrictive.

If it's only opinions you want VCruiser will give you loads of them :D He's very much a moto/utility kinda guy.

As it doesn't cost any extra, I'd got for a made to measure to get the proportions absolutely correct unless you are a typical off-the-peg shape (which i am not).

Where in East Anglia are you ?

Vcruiser

Cordwangler said:
Glad to be here, JH.

And thanks, VC. I definitely count as an Indian in VLJ terms and because I'm originally from the Far East... Anglia, that is. I'm looking for a 'go to' jacket, so you've given me something positive to go on.

At this point, I'm weighing up the benefits of the Highwayman and the Route 66, as both appeal to me.

Cheers

CW

CW
I don't think you could go wrong with either style. Keep in mind that the #66 favors the HalfBelt more...and is even trimmer(slimmer) than a regular half Belt through the body..where the Highwayman is more of a boxy '50s cut. The bi-swing back is a must if you ride a MC..IMO.
Good luck...and may I also recommend Aero's FQHH...or the softer more grainy "vintage" HH as pictured below.

This the the '30s style HalfBelt with the slimmer sleeves and higher cut cut arm holes....

100_0412.jpg

Van

Cordwangler

Thanks for the encouraging words, Van and JH.

I like the grain on your 30s HB, Van. Very beautiful.

I'm undecided about hide: FQHH or heavy steer. I've samples of both, including vintage HH, and they both look heavy. I notice that the horse is finer grained, which I like. Still choosing...

I'll phone the nice people at Aero and see what can be done about armhole dimensions. As long as my head doesn't disappear when I scratch my head I'll be happy.

JH... Fens originally, Norfolk for a while...

johnnynotoes-1

This forum is for any general questions about flight jackets / motorcycle jackets / civilian jackets - both vintage and new

There we go...This seems to the right forum. Most popular hit for folks with specific questions anyways. Not to be nit-pickin' JH but there seems to be room doncha think???

Andrew

johnnynotoes-1 said:
This forum is for any general questions about flight jackets / motorcycle jackets / civilian jackets - both vintage and new

There we go...This seems to the right forum. Most popular hit for folks with specific questions anyways. Not to be nit-pickin' JH but there seems to be room doncha think???
Johnny, live and let live (usually), but this is the "General Flight Jacket Discussion" section. Easy on Dave he just says what thinks ;) .

Van I love the look of your HWM and if I needed to wear more than one jacket that (in black HH) would be it.

PADDY_M

Re: Oh...I'm an expert all right...:)

More so on drinking Guinness and perfecting the Aviation Cocktail of 1916 these days!! ;)

But always a 'big thankyou' for remembering me :)

Lovely jacket btw..and that patina will just develop as it gets scuffed and burnished with wear.

johnnynotoes-1

Good day Leadsky...notoes here. My blurb at the top [this form is for any general questions etc.,..] comes verbatim from the index page. I didn't write it, I just noted it. If I'm truly mistaken let me know.

A

Anonymous

Alright Johnny please don't pick a fight with anyone but me. Seems to me that you are talking about not being nit-pickity when you pick me up for nit-picking ! :D Pot - kettle blah, blah, blah.

FYI the forum is vintage leather jackets but the SUBJECT where the question was posted is called General Flight Jacket Discussion. Maybe I missed something here but in response to your sarcy response to Leadsky YES YOU ARE WRONG !!!!! :eek: Aero highwayman jackets have no pretentions to being flight jackets. Or am I wrong ? I thought that they were Moto/Utility jacket. I've only had three highwaymen, a half-belt long and an A-2 oil-pull fromAero amongst many other jackets. What the hell do I know ?? :D

Perhaps I should explain that sometimes I say stuff not to act as a mod but because often after I've said something I get pm'd by people saying how I've said what they were thinking. Sometimes I get sick of a group cooing and gushing and like to give an opposing view to add balance and by so doing letting people know I don't necessarily hold the same views. Silence often means compliance. Sometimes I do it just to get people riled as I also love playing the Devil's Advocat and seeing how strong their thinking is and to see if they have thought about something. Sometime i do it to let someone know that they are mis-posting because we do have different subject headings here but a lot of people post in the main one because they think their post will not get looked at by enough people. If we're going down that route, let's only have one topic and bin the rest. I'm cool with that.

I speak my mind. But if that's now become a crime then I'll shut the hell up.

Roughwear

JACKET_ HEAD said:
Hi,

Also, this ought really to be in the Moto section as this is not a flight jacket. No biggie but there are other topics on the forum. :)

I know this comment has caused at least one member to criticise you JH, but you are correct. Perhaps a moderator can move the post accordingly?

johnnynotoes-1

Sorry to bring out the ire folks but I guess my board index page is different than yours. My quote at the top of my initial post was again I repeat,...verbatim from the board index page.

See to it that this print is changed if that's your issue. And JH? Easy on the newer members Tiger.

Vcruiser

JACKET_ HEAD said:
Perhaps I should explain that sometimes I say stuff not to act as a mod but because often after I've said something I get pm'd by people saying how I've said what they were thinking. Sometimes I get sick of a group cooing and gushing and like to give an opposing view to add balance and by so doing letting people know I don't necessarily hold the same views. Silence often means compliance. Sometimes I do it just to get people riled as I also love playing the Devil's Advocat and seeing how strong their thinking is and to see if they have thought about something.
I speak my mind. But if that's now become a crime then I'll shut the hell up.

I would think that all of us should appreciate such a domineering role..as we certainly have in the past. Psychoanalyzing the flow of the forum and charitably offering tireless individual effort to balance-out dovelike tendacies of fellow members even if in includes an overly insistant procedure of getting it done...should surely seem quite fair. Even the occassional.."Ok..now I'll shut up"..but doesn't.. is also excusable when it's imperative proving others wrong. I tend to just ignore PMs suggesting.."I wish the hell that he would". :)