• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are these USAAF Issue Sunglasses?

oose

Hi all,

I know sunglasses have been covered before, but I've just got these American Optical sunglasses and was wondering if these were USAAF issue or not. They are a bit dirty and need clean !

IMG_3857.jpg

IMG_3855.jpg

IMG_3858.jpg

IMG_3859.jpg

thank for any info.

oose

Hi,

I think I've answered my own question, done some more digging, I think there AN6531 Glasses-Flying, Sun, am I right?

DSCN7596.jpg

DSCN7597.jpg

and from the National Naval Aviation Museum collection...

webmediaphp3-2.jpg

being worn...

sun.jpg

sun2.jpg

yours stu

better duck

Funny coincidence: I looked enviously at exactly such a pair of sunglasses on one of the American reenactors noses during Flying Legends at Duxford last Saturday. That alone would lead me to the conclusion that these are indeed AAF issue sunglasses; these gentlemen were decked out in all original stuff or high end repro, and his glasses looked vintage.

Chandler

oose said:

I just wonder if anyone can I.D. the grain on that genuine leather? :D

BTW -- There's an AVG image somewhere, guys standing in line for chow after a flight, and one of the pilots has very similar glasses on -- sort of RayBan-like, but not quite.

Chandler

oose

Thanks Guys,

By way of thanks I thought I'd post one of my Fav sunglasses pics

c15-2.jpg

yours stu

bobbyball

I just picked up a pair of early Bausch & Lomb aviators. They are silver/nickel and very similar to the AO aviators. The only markings on them are “Bausch & Lomb” underneath the top metal bridge and B&L embossed on the inside of the nosepads. The glass is light green and the arms are cables. I believe them to be late thirties? but not sure. They came with a green metal case marked B&L Made in USA on the top.