• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are these real?

Did they produce original stitched-on-felt squadron patches during the war? If so, whats the give-away that they're real vs. fake. Thank you

a2jacketpatches

There's several of these all most likely being made by the same person or maybe even a sweat shop in Vietnam or something. This method is very much like some recently reproduced Vietnam era insignia and they all look the same as well.

Different theaters of operation but same construction. You may see a similar type of hand embroidery from time to time on an original but usually the back thread is a lot thinner than the top thread and used just to catch the top thread. Most original WW2 squadron embroidered patches are machine done. Here the thick top thread is used all the way in the back. As you continue to see these all over Ebay from different sellers you'll notice quickly and just keep on looking. Back at least 7 years ago before moving out West I saw my first thinking it was real. They've got a nice look to them but certainly reprops.

Silver Surfer

yeah, i looked at them when they showed up, and my gut reaction was repop. nice repops, but repops all the same. seans information about the construction may save a forum member some serious coin. at $40-$80 they would be a nice repro jac addition, though.

TankBuster

spencer.hoglund said:
Did they produce original stitched-on-felt squadron patches during the war? If so, whats the give-away that they're real vs. fake. Thank you

There were many wartime hand sewn on felt backed patches that were produced. They were very common in the ETO as most were English made. Sean is correct that this patch is a repro. As for distinguishing between originals and repros, it just takes some time to know what you are looking at. When starting out, it's best to ask.

ausreenactor

jschare said:
Crap... From the headline, I thought I was gonna see pics of boobs... :shock:

Beat me to it... Every time the thread came onto the unread posts I got a little excited.

shedonwanna

the "boob" images are embedded as meta data in the posted images. for a modest donation i will provide the code to extract the desired images. ;)

a2jacketpatches

Hey Mate! That looks like my wife and you were the only one snapping photos at Toby Keith's! Yes, they're real dammit!
:lol: