• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone know what this is?

ZuZu

I saw this in a news report about a Navy flyover. The woman pil,ot was wearing this newfangled flight jacket. I've seen it before but can't remember what it is.
20230211_090856.jpg

20230211_090853.jpg

nagmashdriver

Wait-you didn't think that a pilot flying the F-35 would be allowed to be seen in a 30-year old CWU-36/45, would you???

ZuZu

Wait-you didn't think that a pilot flying the F-35 would be allowed to be seen in a 30-year old CWU-36/45, would you???
What jacket is it though? I used to know- at least that there was a new jacket and that it cost around $700. But what's it called?

nagmashdriver

Took some more screenshots from the local Fox News interviews and the jacket is definitely unique; it's very similar in appearance the USN's blue/black utility jacket and also the A-2 "permeable" deck jacket in that it has a straight waist and slash, hand-warmer style pockets which is a strange choice for an aviator jacket.

I sent emails to the USN publicity office, the squadron in question and to a private facebook page for the squadron members and their families. I'll post whatever I get back from them...
USN female pilot mystery jacket 002.jpg

Attachments

• USN female pilot mystery jacket 001.jpg
    USN female pilot mystery jacket 001.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 80

ZuZu

Took some more screenshots from the local Fox News interviews and the jacket is definitely unique; it's very similar in appearance the USN's blue/black utility jacket and also the A-2 "permeable" deck jacket in that it has a straight waist and slash, hand-warmer style pockets which is a strange choice for an aviator jacket.

I sent emails to the USN publicity office, the squadron in question and to a private facebook page for the squadron members and their families. I'll post whatever I get back from them...View attachment 97143
Thanks a lot!

nagmashdriver

Okay guys, I heard back from the website for the navy squadron in question, VFA-247, the Argonauts:

Attachments

• Massif jacket 002.jpg
    Massif jacket 002.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 91
  • Massif jacket 001.jpg
    Massif jacket 001.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 72

Skyhawk

About time they came out with something like that. Pretty much just a soft shell combat jacket. They came out about 15 years ago or so. Check out Amazon. There are a ton. Not made form Nomex though. Some are even sage green. The Rothco ones are close but not a fleece type material. Most of the fleece ones have hoods.

CBI

yes, this is the new 2 piece nomex flight suit, initially for helo drives and crew, transport, etc (non ejection seat a/c)