• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone have the new ELC B-2 cap?

Hawkeye

I was wondering if every "broken grain" B-2 that ELC is producing now has that turned upwards visor, or if that is just optional. I wouldnt buy one with the turned up bill, but i do like the broken grain skin, and unfortunately the re-issue depot is out of my size with the old style caps.

havocpaul

It appears from their new listing that it does have the upturned visor although the version I bought last summer at Duxford has a much more vintage look with the visor really worn and bent back which looks just like a vintage '50 mission' vets cap so I think the new version is a tamer attempt. I would expect if you asked them they might have/make one with a 'straight' visor as before.

Hawkeye

Well I went and picked up one of the re-issue depot caps, size 7 1/8, the largest size they had left. Im looking forward to it.

better duck

Hawkeye said:
I was wondering if every "broken grain" B-2 that ELC is producing now has that turned upwards visor, or if that is just optional.

I have their B2 (an old one, dating from some 15 years ago. The upturned visor isn't built in, as you presume though: you just bend the visor in the shape you want: upturned or down. Turning it up can basically be done in two stages: the mildly upturned one you see in the ELC photo, and all the way. In that case you bend it upwards just at the point where it is attached to the cap itself. Same applies to the summer cap.
So ELC (and all the others that have this cap) sell just one model!

asiamiles

Hawkeye said:
Well I went and picked up one of the re-issue depot caps, size 7 1/8, the largest size they had left. Im looking forward to it.
I picked one up as well. I already had their Irvin cap in the same size -- initially I found it a bit small but it's loosened up over time and now fits me fine (a used one I bought in the interim the next size up, which I expected to fit, was too big) -- so I felt confident ordering this size.

When I ordered shipping was quoted as £18, which seemed excessive in the extreme, so I added a note requesting if it could be shipping using a cheaper method. It seems Eastman took note and sent it 'small packet' and I was only charged £10, though the actual shipping cost was only £4.45.

I think I still prefer the Irvin cap though. The colour seems to go better with most of my jackets.

better duck said:
I have their B2 (an old one, dating from some 15 years ago. The upturned visor isn't built in, as you presume though: you just bend the visor in the shape you want: upturned or down. Turning it up can basically be done in two stages: the mildly upturned one you see in the ELC photo, and all the way. In that case you bend it upwards just at the point where it is attached to the cap itself. Same applies to the summer cap.
So ELC (and all the others that have this cap) sell just one model!
But, as noted earlier in the thread, it appears as if the new "broken grain" cap comes with the peak already "mildly upturned."

Hawkeye

I was contemplating the Irvin cap as well, but decided to go with the "normal" version as it will only be available at that price for a short time, while I'll still be able to get the Irvin version in the future at my leisure.