• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

anyone have experience with Eastman's USN seaman's sweater?

omarco

Re: anyone have experience with Eastman's USN seaman's sweat

I've got one of these and really like it, fit is pretty true to size although i found the shoulders wider than normal and the sleeves a little shorter so that compensates. I don't wash mine and haven't noticed any pilling. The quality is really nice and it has a few nice details at the cuff.. the worsted wool is nice and hard wearing.

ButteMT61

@omarco, true to size as in the same as your jacket size? Just curious as they're sized that way, and I've never bought a sweater like that. They look great, and I'd love to get on too. Someday.

SuinBruin

omarco said:
I've got one of these and really like it, fit is pretty true to size although i found the shoulders wider than normal and the sleeves a little shorter so that compensates. I don't wash mine and haven't noticed any pilling. The quality is really nice and it has a few nice details at the cuff.. the worsted wool is nice and hard wearing.
Would you mind terribly posting the measurements? I've asked Eastman for them but would appreciate some real world data. Thanks!

omarco

I take a size 42 A2 and i went for the size 42 sweater after getting the measurements from Rob at Eastman. Here are the measurements:

SLEEVE LENGTH FROM SHOULDER SEAM TO END OF CUFF: 22"

ARMPIT TO ARMPIT : 23"

SHOULDER SEAM TO SEAM: 22.5"

BACK LENGTH FROM NAPE OF NECK SEAM: 25.5"

Vcruiser

omarco said:
I take a size 42 A2 and i went for the size 42 sweater after getting the measurements from Rob at Eastman. Here are the measurements:

Sleeve length...22"...really? Pretty short..... :eek:

omarco

Vcruiser said:
omarco said:

Sleeve length...22"...really? Pretty short..... :eek:

yea, and i have long arms too (my A2 has 26" arms and sits perfectly) but the extra width of the shoulders mean that actually it fits perfectly.. i think its a quirk of the original pattern

ButteMT61

I really want one, but those sleeve numbers scare me. Do you have any pics wearing it?

SuinBruin

Andrew said:
Good stuff, thanks Andrew. The original navy blue (real, dark, almost-black) wool stuff is very cool. I have a couple original peacoats (one WWII, one late 40s) and two original CPO shirts from the same era, along with a BR CPO (which is more wearable than the originals, but pretty far from an exact replica). Getting some sweaters would round things out nicely.

Thanks for posting the measurements, omarco. I also have long arms (I'm 6'1" and wear a 40L jacket with 25.5-26" sleeves, and take a size 16-35 dress shirt), so the sleeve length is a little alarming. If you could manage a fit pic, that would be great.

omarco

SuinBruin said:
Thanks for posting the measurements, omarco. I also have long arms (I'm 6'1" and wear a 40L jacket with 25.5-26" sleeves, and take a size 16-35 dress shirt), so the sleeve length is a little alarming. If you could manage a fit pic, that would be great.

have no fear, we are pretty similarly built and the sleeves rest past my wrists, i guess a way to describe it would be that the measurement from the centre of the collar seam to the end of the cuff is comparable to a garment with 18.5" shoulders and 25.5" arms (44" total), but instead it has 22" shoulders and 22" sleeves (also 44" total).

Heres a crappy pic from last year:

7598155748_52d70fa610_z.jpg

SuinBruin

That's very helpful, thanks. What is your actual chest measurement, if you don't mind my asking?

SuinBruin

Perfect, thanks. Looks like it's a 42 for me.