• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

anyone able to objectively rate these?

Tim P

http://cgi.ebay.com/ALPHA-REPLICA-L-2B- ... 3ca4c9cdb8

Alpha can come up a bit... avirex with their inks, gunmetals coyotes and detachable fur collars not to mention their vintage.

This looks good and sage and would need only a label nip and a decal applied IF it is as good a the pic seems to show Other alphas have had either eppaulettes or front press stud tab omited. anyone able to comment? similarly the blue one would be ideal for a patcher..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ALPHA-REPLICA-L-2B- ... 5d26f3d65b

USMC_GAU-21

Tim,

I dealt with a guy on both of these L-2's earlier this year. His eBay handle is "dogman". Anyways he does a lot of Alpha jacket sales. He actually took the time to email me with some good points and bad points on these jackets.

Good thing he said was they have wool knits, and are of very good quality compared to the run of the mill Alpha re-pop. I ordered the sage on in 2X and I am extremely happy with it as a daily wear jacket. Patched up it looks great. Nice knits, heavy piling. I think even better then some of the last MIL-SPEC ALphas.

The guy in NY has the better price at $152.00, but "dogman" is great to deal with. He is $164.00 typically. He has a lot of nice sizes too.

Just my thoughts......but I like my jacket and it fits like a L-2 should.

r - Gy Dan

Tim P

cool, I dont want a lemon but buzz rickson quality is not necessary as I have some good buzz nylon already and alpha at their best do cut it by and large ( with due deference to japanese product)

deand

Dan, what are the 'bad points' on these jackets? Is the nylon color accurate?

dean

Peter Graham

Tim, despite the description, neither of the jackets pictured are Alpha "Replica" jackets. They are "Vintage". The little tag on the arm pocket gives them away. The Replica jackets are far superior with more authentic blackened zippers, labels and real wool lining.

Tim P

Peter, thanks for that, I am thinking however that teese do not resemble the powder blue jackets with faded decals that served as 'vintage' in the late 90's.. I cant help feeling that these are different and that the expedient of nipping off the arm label leaves something correctly coloured and, if not quite the 'replicas' we know and love then at least something I could wear. ( unlike those vintage jackets which are just too high street) you dont buy an l2 series for its thermal properties after all and my green knit blue buzz is one thing but a mainstream one with correct knits is desirable.

deand

I have one of those 90s Alpha L-2A replicas, and recently received an Avirex blue MA-1, which I'm going to make a few modifications to represent a B-15D Mod. The blue on the Alpha is not as rich as the Avirex, and the knits on the Alpha are a paler blue compared to the Avirex and its darker blue. I like the Avirex tones a bit more and suspect it is closer to the genuine thing. I wonder if this Alpha is like the photos. BTW the nylon oxygen tab on the Alpha is, in my opinion, too short, incorrect in nylon weave pattern and color, and improperly placed on the front of the jacket, whenyou compare the pictures of a Buzz Rickson to it. The Avirex is much closer to the Buzz in comparison to photos at this point.

dean

USMC_GAU-21

I think the "replica's" and the "vintage" both have their qualities.

Here is the L-2A "replica":

http://cgi.ebay.com/Alpha-L2A-Repli...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2ea4e558cf

I think is has a very rich blue color. cut looks very good, plus wool cuffs.

Now the "vintage" MA-1, from 1993....
!BRWGc9wBWk~$(KGrHgoH-CYEjlLl9odTBJ9gvKiP2w~~_12.JPG

Now "vintage" L-2A
http://cgi.ebay.com/Alpha-Vintage-L...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2ea3ba10d4

BIG difference......

These are just a few from him, but I have the "Replica" other then running a little small it is a veyr nice jacket. And yes the Alpha tag on the pen pocket is there....I just cut it off.

USMC_GAU-21

OBTW, Peter is right I would go for the "Replica" as it is a far nicer jacket then the "Vintage". But up to you the wearer.

Dan

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
USMC_GAU-21 said:
OBTW, Peter is right I would go for the "Replica" as it is a far nicer jacket then the "Vintage".

Yes, Peter is right ... I only know the Replica B-15C, and B-15D series, but the difference between those, and the Vintage is huge.

My Replica B-15C, I can't part with, as it's such a good wearable jacket. The Vintage (that I took as a trade on my Buzz MA-1) is unwearable, with a detachable collar, inferior nylon, inferior zipper, inferior stretched knits, and my pet hate ... polyester fibre fill that settles at the bottom, like a cheap duvet.

Weasel_Loader

Alpha did make the Replicas in the C and D mods too. I had a size 42 B-15C mod along with a 44 B-15D. The B-15C mod in 42 was a seemed like the perfect fit but was on the short side. The B-15D in 44 was too, too big. Quality was very close to a Buzz. Main difference was the feel of the nylon and the zippers. Pretty hard to beat a Buzz but then again, many of us purchased the Alpha Replicas on ebay when they could be had for about $65.00 :roll:

usafwso

For many circumstances these jackets are great. Just get a sharp Exacto knife and a very steady hand to remove that TACKY Alpha label from the pocket........ YIKES!!!!!!!! :roll: