• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anybody else hate summer?

PaulGT3

I grew up in Texas, it was hot. I joined the service, got sent to the Mojave Desert to serve
in the Air Force, it was hot. I went to Chico California to go to school, it was hot, and humid.
I got out of school with my engineering degree and got a job back in the Mojave Desert and
its still hot. Yesterday, it showed 80 in the cars thermometer. If its this hot already, then its going
to be 120 in freaking May. Not much time to wear jackets. Luckily, I can go to the mountains, we
have a little place at 8,000 feet and I have been snowed on there every month of the year.
But I hate the heat. Most of our houses here in the desert dont have AC. They have evaporative
coolers, which means when it gets the hottest in Aug/Sept and the humidity comes on we
dont even have a way to cool ourselves.
I dont like hot, when its hot and humid you can only take off so many clothes before you dont
have any more on. When its REALLY cold, you can put another log on the fire, or grab another
jacket or a sweatshirt. THere seem to be all kinds of ways to deal with the cold. AND as we all
know here we can be really stylish in the cold in flight jackets. Our town is over ladened with
40-70 year olds because the Navy has never really hired to back up the scientists it hired in
the early 80's to early 90's. You cant be stylish at 60 walking around naked. Even walking a nice
dog. When it gets that hot, life gets miserable. I get miserable just thinking about the upcoming
summer and its not even Spring yet. I would like to move to the Artic circle and sit in seal blubber
in August. With a flight jacket on, in the snow. I dont believe in global warming but it sure feels
like it gets warmer and warmer here in the Mojave Desert.
My wife is from Idaho Falls and its really cold there in the Eastern part of that state. Her parents
moved to Boise which sometimes in the summer it gets as hot there as it does here. Looks like
the same desert, all the way up there. Its not fun spending your vacation when its 109 outside
in Boise and you have to fight your 80 year old father in law for the TV remote. I need to move
to Idaho Falls, I think. I much rather deal with 20 below than 120 above.
That is all.

Steve H

:oops: :oops: :lol:

Yep, summer in Oz sucks too- spent my service time in tanks in Darwin. Cured of loving heat forever!

Steve

damienweaver

Grew up in South Texas, as well. Also served in the Air Force up at Beale AFB, 'bout an hour from Chico. I, too, dislike the heat. Now, after six years of New York winters, I've forgotten what the heat was like.... I've also forgotten what it was like to be comfortably warm.... I think Oregon is the sweet spot. Gonna try up there some day.

Skip

The only good thing about a down under summer, is living next to a beach. Summer in Oz is particularly unpleasant, but still bearable in the Southern regions. Dont know how you top enders cope in Jan-Feb, but I could bare it just to watch the lightning storms.

Took the 4wd on a long trip through South Australia back in October 2002, I reckon Lake Eyre has to be the hottest place in Australia at around the 46'C mark when were were there and thats only Spring :shock: If you dont suffer from the heat then the flies are going to get you. Actually Summer anywhere in the bush, even in the Snowies, you get inch long, blood sucking flies constantly buzz around trying to have a go. I took a friend trekking for a few days at Mt Jagungal in the Snowies, between Christmas and New Years, he'd never been to the Snowies before, and I didn't mention the flies. Well it was quite something to see the look on his face when these beasties, which only come out in the warmer months, were trying to get us through the tents walls. It'd be tough living in these places but I guess you just put up and get on with it.

As for me, prefer colder places and definitely the cooler months, you get sick of wearing boardshorts and t-shirt all the time

Ian C

Sping and Autumn, especially the former in the UK are perfect for me. Our summers are too muggy and April and May are as good as it gets, especially if you are laying bricks outside.
Now I work indoors teaching the trade I miss that.

A

Anonymous

We have 300 sunny days here in Athens.
Summer starts in March here and ends late November.
In July-August it hits 113 F

dujardin

i'm not a hot T° lover

i hate when T° are over 25° C

i have the chance to leave a temperate regio, Belgium

many chance too wear leather or cloth jacket but not cold enough for a shearling (except in rare occasion)

today, we have a splendid day as i like
blue sky - no wind - sunshine - T° +- 13°C

in a short time, we will be into springtime greaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

MikeyB-17

Absolutely not. We don't get anywhere near enough of it down our way. Wet and usually cold most of the time at the moment (although to be fair, today it's cold, but sunny-perfect jacket weather), wet most of the rest of the time-thankfully I'm about to escape it for ten days in Tenerife. When it's nice here, it's very nice, but that's not very often!

bfrench

Administrator
MikeyB-17 said:
Absolutely not. We don't get anywhere near enough of it down our way. Wet and usually cold most of the time at the moment (although to be fair, today it's cold, but sunny-perfect jacket weather), wet most of the rest of the time-thankfully I'm about to escape it for ten days in Tenerife. When it's nice here, it's very nice, but that's not very often!

You really need to get up at 4:30 AM to shovel the driveway from 18" of snow fall - clean off the vehicle and then drive to work for 7:00 AM all at -20ºF clothed in about five layers of warm shirts and pants.

Then only to find that it is even going to be colder in the following days.

Each has its merits but you don't seem to have to shovel sand to get out of your driveway.

MikeyB-17

Maybe not, Bill, and I'm very much aware that we live in a part of the UK where people come on holiday, but in the Winter it can be grey and wet for long periods, which can get you down after a while. I fully appreciate that many have it worse, and perhaps I shouldn't complain, but in response to the original question, do I hate Summer? No-at least not when it's sunny.

PaulGT3

in Chico, the winters were foggy for months and that was depressing. But Like Athens its already spring here. The cherry plum
trees have already blossomed and the bees are in the trees. Sucks.

Andrew

I live in the sub tropics by the sea and i'm not going to complain about that, but Summer lasts a long time here and it can get hot, and humid, and very wet, and often cyclonic and also very dry. This also means that winter is very short and mild, and usually fine weather, so unless it's also overcast there's not a lot of need for any jacket. But that climate creates a fantastic geography and culture and that's fine with me.

For a couple of years it bothered me that the cool period was so short but these days I've come to my senses and just enjoy the great weather and remind myself how lucky I am to be living in a place most people would love to spend a couple of days. The change came after I took up surfing again (or attempting to) with my boys and became a volunteer Lifesaver at my local beach during the eight month season. I lose a few kgs, get fit, do a community service, get away from indoor stuff and get to legally perve at bikinis once a month. how bad is that?

I also really enjoy only having to decide on the colour of my boardshorts for that period too! Heresy here maybe but for me there's more to life than deciding which brown leather jacket i'm going to throw on yet again. I can feel a sale building.

PaulGT3

We have plenty of beach and sand here, Problem is the water is 3 hours away!! I could take up surfing but the walk
back to my car would be a long one.
I understand how you guys get a bit down after dreary weather, but endless days of sunshine can get the same way.
Day after day in July, August and Sept, with temps around 110 and by aug it gets an yellow glow to everything, and you wake up at 6:30 its already 95 degrees F. Thats what I get for living at the gates of Death Valley.

I am amazed at the number of Euro's that come here in the summer! I can understand the spring, but we get Germans and others who come here in the July timeframe and I never understood that. We usually lose a foreign couple or family who wander off the wrong road in Death Valley with not enough water or food or clothing, and usually there is no cell coverage out there.
We lose a couple of visitors a year. Its unfortunate but people dont seem to believe where Death Valley gets its name from.
Winters there can be fantastic. There is a golf course there, that you can play in Jan. Of course you can play here all
year around except for the once every 4 year snow storm. But Death Valley is a nasty place in the summer.
I have gone through there in Aug and you can see car manufacturers from all over the world testing here. I saw a Volvo
that had been instrumented and they drained the water out of it to see how long it would last. It made it from Beatty Nevada to Stove Pipe Wells in Death Valley. There are alot of disguised cars with black tape all over them from all
over doing warm weather testing.

We ought to arrange a family home vacation trade for those who have been retired, those who are tired of the cold can come and stay at my place where its already 80 degrees, and we could go somewhere where its 50 max when its 115 here!!LOL!!! You can see the whole Sierra Mountain Range from my house as 6,000 foot peaks and higher are only 30 miles away.

SuinBruin

Summer is the best. Sierra Nevada for trout on dry flies, south-central Oregon for summer-run steelhead on wets and skaters. (A muddler minnow will do both.)

If I could do nothing but fish the Mammoth area and the North Umpqua in August & September I'd be set. (And the high Sierra is cool enough at night, even in summer, to wear an A-2.)

PaulGT3

Suin,
Mammoth is my only escape from this place I live. I have a place in Mammoth.
I love to fish there too, I learned in the big rivers of Idaho, Montana and Wyoming.
But the biggest trout I ever saw was out of twin lakes there right by Mammoth Lakes.