• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any thoughts on Lewis Leathers?

Jamesp

I have recently been looking for a 60/70s Lewis leather M/C jacket but have not found any I like so far.

I am now thinking of a new one, possibly a lightning. They are expensive! About £630.00

I know they are hand made in London and much of the price is for the heritage but I am struggling to justify this amount for a new leather bike jacket.

Has anyone bought one in the last few years and if so any opinions on the quality of the later jackets?

Thanks

James.

joeson

James said:
I have recently been looking for a 60/70s Lewis leather M/C jacket but have not found any I like so far.

I am now thinking of a new one, possibly a lightning. They are expensive! About £630.00

I know they are hand made in London and much of the price is for the heritage but I am struggling to justify this amount for a new leather bike jacket.

Has anyone bought one in the last few years and if so any opinions on the quality of the later jackets?

Thanks

James.
I know Derrick Harris,Lewis's owner,personally and would say that he has really done a great job with the brand over the time that he has owned it.His attention to detail,from fully researching the company history to making sure the shapes and styles of the jackets are spot on,is a labour of love.
He is a really easy guy to deal with,so if you want to ask any specifics,give him a call or email him and I am sure he will help you out.
As for my personal feelings on the quality of the new jackets:I own a blue leather sportsman and a wax cotton monza and both are fantastic jackets.Saying that,I have quite a large collection(double figures :oops: )of vintage jackets and find myself wearing those most of the time as the worn in look tends to match the rest of my wardrobe.

Jamesp

Thanks for that Joeson,

I am in London on Monday so I have made an appointment, thought it best to take a good look first and check out the fit etc.

Will let you know how I get on.

Cheerio for now.

Peter Graham

James, that's a lot of dough for a bike jacket. As you say, a lot of the money is in the heritage. I don't think I could spend that much but if you decide to go for it, good luck and post some pics. :)

Jamesp

Here it is:

I was apparent that Derek Harris (Lewis Leathers Proprietor) is very passionate about leather jackets. He immediately took an interest in my Eastman’s Hookless zip and went on to stress the effort he has put into using the correct type of zips on his jackets. I could have talked jackets all day with him!

When I was trying some jackets on for size he explained that he has teamed up with a pattern cutter who is a great fan of LL and is often seen at the Ace café London and is very keen to get the patterns just right.

Although not finished, Derek was keen to show his new shop and he is full of enthusiasm for his product and very aware of the LL heritage.

Yes, expensive, but it seems Derek seems more concerned with the product being ‘correct’ than anything else. I guess he could mass produce a more affordable leather bike jacket using the LL name and logo or even cut costs on the detailing and no doubt this would generate many more sales. But for me I am happy that such a long established name has found this individual rather than a company to steer into the future. Can’t help thinking though if only the pricing was lower…? The classic bike world is booming but how many are prepared to pay a premium?

The leather is chrome dyed cowhide and has a very luxurious feel to it. It is soft and supple and feels great to wear.

http://www.lewisleathers.com/

Tommer45

James... awesome jacket. Looks great.. fit looks right on. Lewis Leather's site has some neat jackets.. thanks for the link.

Tommer

joeson

Glad you got to speak to Derek.He really is passionate about the Lewis brand and history.I have a friend who is visiting from S.F. and has fallen in love with one of the Lewis Leather jackets.It looks like despite the price people are responding to the quality and craftsmanship.
Just as a side note,vintage Lewis jackets can command prices of up to GBP5000.Of course,the main market for such jackets is in Japan but the demand for quality is starting to spread.Funny how it seems almost instinctive in the Japanese.In the west the first question is always price,the second,quality. :)

srivats

Jamesp said:
Compared to the Half Belts hide the Lewis feels like a cotton shirt! ;)

LOL ...

you know what ... it is your pics that finally pushed me to get a LHB ... I bought one from through Mark moye and we just finished a long talk on sizing ... your LHB fit is stunning.