• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

any ideas what this could be?

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
An old Avirex ...

611.jpg

better duck

deeb7 said:
An old Avirex ...

611.jpg

Deeb, are you sure? the bloodchit on the jacket on ebay looks a lot more handpainted than the one in this photo of yours. Could it be an original? Questions rise with the label then, but if I remember correctly Avirex always had labels quite clearly stating "Avirex" somewhere on it.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
better duck said:
Deeb, are you sure? the bloodchit on the jacket on ebay looks a lot more handpainted than the one in this photo of yours. Could it be an original? Questions rise with the label then, but if I remember correctly Avirex always had labels quite clearly stating "Avirex" somewhere on it.

Peter, the picture is of a new Cockpit Flying Tigers jacket. I am sure that with 30 years of wear, it will look like the one in the eBay auction.

http://www.wingsamerica.com/index.cfm?F ... ail&ID=611

And that label is so worn that the maker's name is illegible, but it's certainly not from an original A-2.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Peter Graham said:
What about an Australian made A-2 ?

Okay .... I've never seen one, isn't it supposed to have V505 as the order number?

Edit: pictures removed.

Peter Graham

deeb7 said:
Okay .... I've never seen one, isn't it supposed to have V505 as the order number?
I just know that they had white labels. It's probably not an Australian one. It was just a thought.

jacketimp

Peter Graham said:
deeb7 said:
I just know that they had white labels. It's probably not an Australian one. It was just a thought.

actually a US collector mate of mine thought it was an oz made jkt!

better duck

Peter Graham said:
deeb7 said:
And that label is so worn that the maker's name is illegible, but it's certainly not from an original A-2.
What about an Australian made A-2 ?
Actually there is an example of an Australian made A2 on page 29 of "American Flight Jackets" by Maguire & Conway. The caption there reads as follows: "With restrictions of issue, shortages, delays, and final discontinuation of A2 jackets during the war, it became necessary for some airmen to procure them through other channels. This example (photo shown BD) was tailor made in Sydney, Australia and is very accurate and detailed rendition of the issue item. (...)"

On the photo of this particular jacket on page 29 of AFJ you see a white makers label, reading "David Jones, for service, Sydney"
While not providing proof in any way, this is at least an indication a) that private jackets were made, b) with a white label c) with whatever kind of text or number on it: not necessarily being a production run or order number, as these jackets were, as stated, "taylor made".

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
better duck said:
deeb7 said:

On the photo of this particular jacket on page 29 of AFJ you see a white makers label, reading "David Jones, for service, Sydney"
While not providing proof in any way, this is at least an indication a) that private jackets were made, b) with a white label c) with whatever kind of text or number on it: not necessarily being a production run or order number, as these jackets were, as stated, "taylor made".

Thanks Peter .... I guess that when I wrote original A-2, I was meaning issued A-2. :)