• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any idea what this is?

Brylcreemer

I've just come across this beauty on the bay.

It's in my size, but is too rich for my blood factoring in shipping from the states. Does anyone know what it is? German Civvy jacket?

Thanks

MikeyB-17

The patches aren’t attached-there’s a pic without them in there. It’s not unattractive, but Luftwaffe? Per-lease! :D

Erwin

Crazy herringbone lining.
It is not herringbone ;) actually, it looks like a well-known pattern [for plaid fabric] from one French designer, but please don't call this herringbone. Very cool jacket.

This could be a privately purchased Fliegerjacke, on some examples lining fabric can be very interesting, like for example:
luft.JPG

Chandler

It is not herringbone ;) actually, it looks like a well-known pattern [for plaid fabric] from one French designer, but please don't call this herringbone. Very cool jacket.
Sorry, mis-spoke -- houndstooth, and hardly a proprietary, designer pattern. Look at the closeup in the auction.

And by the way, now I see what others have pointed out (on my desktop -- doesn't show on my phone) -- please lose the animated spider GIF. What's the purpose anyway?

Last edited:

Kermit3D

This could be a privately purchased Fliegerjacke, on some examples lining fabric can be very interesting, like for example:
View attachment 111857

This jacket you posted as an example comes from this website :

... I always thought that this jacket was also not an original jacket worn by luftwaffe airmen, but a more modern jacket. The leather "bulges" on each side of the zippers seem quite modern. Hard to say why, but for me it's not a WW2 original.

Kermit3D

The private purchase of jackets by Luftwaffe pilots is a complex issue. Many different jackets were worn at the time, but some types of jackets seem more common than others. Cyclist jacket seems to represent a majority of private purchases, but for example HJ Marseille and Werner Mölders wear another type of private purchase jackets.

Anyway, statistically, 98% of the jackets described as "luftwaffe private purchase" are fake.

Brylcreemer

Many thanks all for your replies. As mentioned my original post, I assumed it was a civvy. Obvs it's not a WW2 jacket. I was really wondering, though, if anyone might have info on manufacturers, but I guess it may just be an obscure run lost to time.