• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any idea on maker of this A-2

ausreenactor

6148th T.C.Squadron said:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AAF-Russet-A-2-Leather-Flight-Jacket-AUSTRALIAN-CONTRACT-/351247058373?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51c7f4c5c5 Not bad, no bids with two days.

Interesting A-2 for sure. No bids as the seller appears to be one of 'those' sellers. "Don't ask about sizing as it's in the description!" Not that I can see?

Silver Surfer

he says its a wwll jac from oz. could be or a later jac. for a guy that is very specific regarding some aspects of his listing, he sure as hell aint too specific about his pix. to this day, i cant figure out why some guys refuse to add measurements, and when asked they reply with a kinda f-y attitude. cranky, cranky, cranky, or is just plain laziness?

Roughwear

It looks like a V505 A2 to me. There has been some debate as to the Australian maker and I don't recall there being a definitive attribution.

DiamondDave

Roughwear said:
It looks like a V505 A2 to me. There has been some debate as to the Australian maker and I don't recall there being a definitive attribution.

I concur. I am bidding on it ,as I think it may need to be repro'd by someone, as an almost lost piece of AAF history!

ausreenactor

DiamondDave said:
Roughwear said:

I concur. I am bidding on it ,as I think it may need to be repro'd by someone, as an almost lost piece of AAF history!

As a proud Victorian any reproduction of the V505 would be a must have, 'irregardless' of the wait or price. Get that tag right though!!

I thought about a proxy bid; however, no sense in upping the R&D costs for a repro. 'Clear in live'.

Couchy

DiamondDave

ADC said:
Would the zippers still be readily avaliable?

Something very much like them are available from my supplier in Japan, but may have to do a special run, depending if that brand name is owned now or not, and have them custom made to exact spec. We will have to see.

DD

ADC

DiamondDave said:
ADC said:

Something very much like them are available from my supplier in Japan, but may have to do a special run, depending if that brand name is owned now or not, and have them custom made to exact spec. We will have to see.

DD

Just curious, did you end up getting it?

DiamondDave

ADC said:
DiamondDave said:
ADC said:

DD

Just curious, did you end up getting it?

Nope. Some ass with a sniping program got me. I hate those Damned things.

robrinay

Surely snipe programmes only win if they beat your highest proxy bid? I usually put my limit on in the last 40 seconds or am I wrong?

ADC

robrinay said:
Surely snipe programmes only win if they beat your highest proxy bid? I usually put my limit on in the last 40 seconds or am I wrong?

Sniping is the most logical and rational way of bidding to win. But you have to put in your best price always. Similar to proxy bidding but allows me to go to work, sleep or church and stay with the action in full control. Plus also avoids bid chasers, bidding wars or irrational overbidding and if you lose you don't feel too bad because you put in your pre determined best price. If I want to win I always snipe. No guarantee of winning but my chances are a lot better. If there are no proxy bidders in the auction then even better still. There are too many bidders around that have the flaw of never putting their best price in unless pushed and often too late. And sometimes I can save a lot of money. I use Auctionstealer which gives me 3 free bids a week which are placed between 14 and 20 seconds before the end of auction. The paid service places bids within the last three seconds. Used them for over ten years and swear by them.

robrinay

Thanks for that I thought I was right - what you're saying is snipe bidding is an automatic way of putting in a last minute max bid - I like to do last minute proxy bidding in person for the rush I get when I beat the snipers. I bet there are one or two members now regretting not bidding on this one and thinking they could always have lent it to DD for a pattern to be made. I do hope someone here bought it with the above in mind?

dmar836

Lending it would have been a good idea. Unfortunately, such an idea still puts members bidding against each other. I think that's what many try to avoid. This is why is is a sometimes disappointing to be watching an item then see it published here or elsewhere exposing it to more enthusiasts. It's all fair game and fun to watch but could put us bidding against each other and running up prices to boot. I didn't know about this jacket until it was shared here.
I don't think there is any advantage to sniping except not running up the bid early on. If you know you won't be around it would help but that's often what has kept me from spending so much! Maybe I'll look into a sniping program but one thing is for sure - I doubt I will sell on Ebay again.
Good heads up,
Dave