• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any experience with this patch maker?

a2jacketpatches

I'm not sure if he's a patch maker, there's quite a story explaining how old they are (60 years) but the sales pitch is a good read and his feedback is 100% positive.

unclegrumpy

a2jacketpatches said:
I'm not sure if he's a patch maker, there's quite a story explaining how old they are (60 years) but the sales pitch is a good read and his feedback is 100% positive.
A good read maybe, but clearly written to deceive. I have a very hard time believing those patches are that old, but I am not sure it matters....even after the passing of years they are still copies.

a2jacketpatches

Yeah, I didn't want to start off negative. But I think they were made more recently, like 60 minutes ago. So recent the fumes are still floating around and helped him dream up that colorful story. The art work is crisp and clean, but doesn't have character at all, no patina, leather grain, anything. I'd swear they were plastic shrinky dinks if not for the obvious pen denting in his line work.

Jeff M

a2jacketpatches said:
Yeah, I didn't want to start off negative. But I think they were made more recently, like 60 minutes ago. So recent the fumes are still floating around and helped him dream up that colorful story. The art work is crisp and clean, but doesn't have character at all, no patina, leather grain, anything. I'd swear they were plastic shrinky dinks if not for the obvious pen denting in his line work.

That was my impression too.
Way too clean...leather looks brand new. Even if kept sealed, never used.
Interesting what with his good feedback.

EMBLEMHUNTER

By what I was told by another patch collector who bought one/more , they are painted with "lead" based paint , yes "Lead" pait and they crack when put under minor bending etc , he has way too many for sale on E bay and as mentioned no way could they be that good looking for 60 years old and he have that many of them, if you look on e bay he has a lot of them up for sale , so I don't think these could be naythig but repros ....................................

a2jacketpatches

EMBLEMHUNTER said:
By what I was told by another patch collector who bought one/more , they are painted with "lead" based paint , yes "Lead" pait and they crack when put under minor bending etc , he has way too many for sale on E bay and as mentioned no way could they be that good looking for 60 years old and he have that many of them, if you look on e bay he has a lot of them up for sale , so I don't think these could be naythig but repros ....................................

Depending on how much they crack, maybe a good thing for those looking for an accurately made repop. Not such a good idea if it starts to flake or all the paint comes off eventually, that would just look bad. I made my mind up a long time ago that these are misrepresented, but can't say for sure that they are bad repops unless I saw what they look like after a stress test.

I'm testing the use of oil paints on some of JC's HH and goat. I have some old tubes collected over the years that may have lead in them, not a big deal if your not chewing on them. Artists oils haven't changed in formula much over the years, basically just standard pigment and linseed oil, so it's definately the way most painted patches were done. It's the use of components like japan dryer, gum turps, linseed oil, etc. that'll be the trick in making the paint work or fail. I'd want it to crack just enough without flaking off and some type of sealing agent to freeze that cracking in time. I'll come up with the right formula soon, and have an example before and after stress test to show so guys won't worry about it going too far.

EMBLEMHUNTER

The man I mentioned goes by the name "worf" over on the site The Fedora Lounge , so if you want to get his opinion try over there .
Johnny
He got a couple of patches from me and was "ga ga" over mine .