• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any experience with Sporty's a2

PilatusPilot

Hey I know a few of you guys had the Sporty's a2. They claim they made it from a real mil spec pattern... Any thoughts about it? It's 250$... So I mean... Sounds like a good deal too.

daw

I don't have one of their A2's, but years ago bought one of their anj3's-paid about $90 on ebay, nearly new. However, it is HUGE, way oversized and much larger than I expected for the stated size, and not really accurate (wrong collar and hand-warmer pockets). Based on that experience I'd be skeptical about buying another by that maker. Be careful about getting measurements and not relying on the stated size of the jacket.

Brettafett

Mil spec pattern? Maybe a 1990 mil spec pattern. Not WWII that's for sure. I know the quality is good, but you'll find the hardware, knits etc will be modern types.
If you're after something more akin to WWII A-2.... or a goat A-2 for around that ball-park $, you 'd do well to consider Fivestar's Dubow.

Brettafett

Funny you say that. One of my favourite A-2s still happens to be my circa 2019 AVI LTHR 'Bronco'. Its a soft seal goat, drapes well, light, may not be the world's most super accurate 'Bronco' repro, but its so easy to wear. A firm favourite...
AVI LTHR A2.jpg

I also had a Willis & geiger from the 90's that had the collar of a Monarch and a satin lining... really looked the business.
BrettsW&GA-2_00.jpg

Apologies, didn't mean to redirect the thread...

PilatusPilot

Thanks for all the replies! I saw pictures of their jackets.. the leather looks pretty good. And the price is very nice as well. I also kinda of like the appeal of it being a civilian version :) now I'm just waiting for Shawn to get more horsehide and his new contract ready, and then I'll decide.

Bombing IP

I had a Sporty A2 and they were sold in a time where they were more mall jacket buyers than people who wanted correct A2s .What I remember about it that it was way oversize ,the pocket flaps were ugly and the pockets were gigantic .Only a blind man on a galloping horse would call it a real A2 .

BIP

Brettafett

100% above. If you are US-based, by all means try one. But just understand what you're getting.
Personally, Id look into an AVI LTHR if still available or Fivestar.
Civilian A-2s also quite often have hand warmer pockets... Im sure Shawn can add this to a custom jacket if you wish.
Or... Get a Dubow pattern with those slit handwamrer pockets (like a B-15), that'd be very practical and something different.