• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another doctored German jacket

Roughwear

He's at it again. It just a bike jacket altered by this dodgy seller. The edges of the leather shoulder loops look like they have been recently cut and the top aged with polish. How can he say its guaranteed 100% original? Looks like the main zip is a replacement and the leather seems flakey in places.:roll:

I like the style of the jacket, but not the recent additions on the shoulders. He's the same guy who failed to sell a a rare pre-War Perry three times. :lol:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Seltene-Luftwaffe ... 0356935028

Roughwear

John Lever said:
Difficult to judge these items as they don't have documented labels and contracts as A-2's do.

I agree about labels and contracts, but this seller is known to convert bike jackets in to Luftwaffe "worn" jackets and is not someone to by a genuine Luftwaffe jacket from going by his track record. He adds the shoulder loops and securing button to inflate the selling price of an ordinary bike jacket. For example he acquired one from me which appeared on Ebay with "Luftwaffe" additions! :shock:

better duck

Andrew,
I followed your leads closely, but even knowing them, I don't see what you see in those close-up photos. Not meaning to contradict you - you are far more knowledgeable than I am, you having handled lots of vintage jackets, me none. Just saying it isn't obvious to me judging from the photos.
I am curious though about the book that is used to show the kinds of zippers used on German gear. Would you know the title, and is it still available?

Roughwear

better duck said:
Andrew,
I followed your leads closely, but even knowing them, I don't see what you see in those close-up photos. Not meaning to contradict you - you are far more knowledgeable than I am, you having handled lots of vintage jackets, me none. Just saying it isn't obvious to me judging from the photos.
I am curious though about the book that is used to show the kinds of zippers used on German gear. Would you know the title, and is it still available?

Peter, if you look at the edge of the shoulder loop it is relatively light in colour and has what appears to be dark brown polish or dye seeping over it. It appears as if it has been cut recently from a strip of leather and then the top part darkened up to age it and match the leather on the jacket. I may well be wrong here, but I know this guy adds such datails to bike jackets as he did to mine! what I am really saying is the man adds Luftwaffe features to ordinary bike jackets and I would not recommend anyone buying from him.

John Lever

It looks like a very nice early jacket to me. FtrPlt and Paden are experts on this stuff, I wonder what they think ?

Roughwear

John Lever said:
It looks like a very nice early jacket to me. FtrPlt and Paden are experts on this stuff, I wonder what they think ?

John, I'm not questioning its a very nice early jacket, just that the seller is up to his old tricks in adding things to it to inflate the price.

John Lever

It's just par for the course with these things. Look beyond the promises of a LW jacket, and perhaps you might pick up a bargain.
By listing in Militaria he is preventing buyers from many European countries from seeing it at all. I think it's firmly aimed at the US.