• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ANJ-3? I know there has been discussion here,

jack aranda

Thanks, Bill. Gibson & Barnes is where I saw the listing this morning, on their clearance page. If anyone's interested there were a couple in different sizes. I think this is what they call an 'F-82' in their catalog. Someone with more knowledge please jump in and correct me here if I've got it wrong. Nice jacket.

ghq1

Re: ANJ-3? I know there has been discussion here GIBSON BARNES

I rec'd an ANJ-3 in goatskin about 2 months ago . . .

On their OLD sales page they described the jacket as having an inner G-1 vertical map pocket and twill lining. Mine arrived without the pocket . . . and what they meant by twill was nylon twill . . . ( I was thinking cotton) . . . No big deals really since they were willing to do just about whatever to make a new one for me if nec. They admitted their OLD web page was a dinosaur with some inaccuracies . . . Nice to see they've got nice shiny pages (but check the leather jacket photos against the descriptions since I've seen some inconsistencies) . .. The ANJ-3 waistband is rib rack, probably wool, but only ONE layer so it can be a bit thin and floppy but then again it doesn't ride (and get stuck) up the back as much. . . Cuffs are double layer. . . .

F-82 has interior pocket(s)? and handwarmers . . .

It's a great jacket that I bought to wear hard with the best features of the A-2 and G-1 . .and the overall quality is outstanding . .

jack aranda

Hi, ghq1:
Thanks for the breakdown of features. How is the fit? Is it a modern, fuller cut for older, full-bodied guys? Or is it a trim 'military' fit like a vintage G-1 or A-2? Thanks.

Grant

Here's a couple photos of an original ANJ3 I used to own. The goatskin was very soft and pliable even though it was on the thick side. It had an original wartime Brass Talon zip and outlined area where a label was long ago removed. Ended up selling it to Gary Eastman a few years back.

ANJ3front.jpg

ANJ3back.jpg

fishmeok

Do you have any pics of how the epaulets are situated on the shoulders? I tried to make one last year but it didn't work out so well....
Cheers
Mark

dilbert

I have a G&B F-82 jacket. It is not the same as what they market as their ANJ-3 but is very similar. Their website is really pathetic- I like their products, but the website is so out of date. It hasn't been updated in years and still shows out of date prices and products that have been discontinued. As far as their specials or clearance area of the website, I remember seeing the same item for months on end. I called on several items over a period of time and was told each time that the item was sold some time ago, yet the same item was still displayed as available six months later.

I've had my '82 for several years now. When I bought it I was told on the phone that the ANJ-3 had been discontinued (I have their current paper catalogue and it does not appear) but was told they could special order one as they still have the patterns. I assume that it would still be available today.

As far as the quality and appearance of the '82, it is exceptionally well made and I couldn't be happier with it. It does have an interior pocket as well as hand warmers, however. It is, quite literally, what they describe in the catalogue, an A-2 front mated to the G-1 back. It has all the A-1 trimmings including epaulets, pocket/collar snaps, etc. on the front and is identical to the G-1 for the back. It is very comfortable.

I think it is unfortunate that such a good and well-respected company has such a poor web presence and really don't understand their thought process.

Mac

The Gibson-Barnes (Flightsuits) website was updated this week. :eek: Whether it continues to be updated remains to be seen. The clearance pages have been converted to pdf files, so maybe updates will be easier for them.

http://www.gibson-barnes.com/

Cheers,

Mac

sbsandy

My Airline Leather Jackets are made by Gibson-Barnes ( F-82) Nice jackets but they are no ANJ-3 I have 2 of them, Goat Skin is very nice (soft) the knits are made from nylon which picks after a while..and like all Gibson/Barnes overly large in size. they do wear well and hold up nicely..

Sandy

dilbert

How funny- I no sooner complain about the website and they change it completely! I wish my children were so easy.

The new website is great and the Clearance Page is up to date and, for the first time, dated, so you are reasonably sure that the items are up to date. I actually called for an item on Clearance, found it in stock, and bought it.

This is a welcome change to what I consider a very good company. I hope they keep it up. Many thanks for the update, I wasn't aware of the redesign.