• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

An unusual old belt

Charlie

This morning, I found an old belt on a flea marcket, dating 1930 ? Looks really old to me, I restored it (buttons and tons of Pecard), it went out just fine, does anyone know the name of this type of belt ?

Before pecards
DSCN7672.jpg

DSCN7673.jpg

DSCN7674.jpg

After

DSCN7677.jpg

DSCN7678.jpg

Regards

442RCT

From looking at it, I'm gonna guess that's some variation of what's known as a 'money' belt that gentlemen used to wear to carry their money, coins and other valuables around their waist. In the old west, something similar was used as a gun belt by cowboys when cartridge loops were added. The gun belt that John Wayne wore in his western movies was one of these dual use money/gun belts.
http://www.epsaddlery.com/pc-50-31-1-moneybelt.aspx

Happy Hooligan

I don't think it would be a money belt as it's too obvious that it would full of money.

Looking at the belt it wasn't used to keep your pants up but over the pants and the two buttons would hold something up on each leg, but nothing too heavy as they are only buttons so no chaps I would guess. Might even be a military belt to hold a decoration up...

A

Anonymous

I have seen a variation of this belt ,its not designed to hold anything up just to hide .It was worn under a shirt above the hips and was used to hide gold coins .Many jewish people escaped Germany with such a belt ,the German currency was almost worthless and to buy your way out of a problem gold was the way to go .Gold is recognised around the world since the time of Christ even James Bond carries Krugerrands in his belt for the same purpose .Gold is like the real wealth of the world and paper currency has no worth and is supported only by confidence .Paper can be printed by the millions but it takes 15 tons of gold ore to make one ounce of gold .To give you an example of how gold holds it value if you had a 1000 gold coins in 1970 you could buy a house for $40,000 with the same 1000 gold coins today you could still buy a house 1000x$1000 its the paper money that screwed up not the gold .

All the best Jeff