• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

An Original Star G-1.for a Good Buy It Now Price Size 42

B-Man2

Ok guys … I’m always preaching to buy originals . Well here’s what I would consider a steal . A Vietnam Era Star G-1, in reasonably good condition for seriously cheap money .
Cheaper than any repros out there .
Here ya go … my compliments…

B-Man2

Was that star contract made with an a-2 type waist band, as against the more common rib rack waistband?
Vic
Yes it was . Here’s a look at my 68 Star . Same deal . Cuffs were changed out but waistband still the original one.
0D35DB82-071C-467E-80ED-706E19C525CB.jpeg
B8A34F33-23CF-4FDA-ACD1-30A15D275150.jpeg

mulceber

Oh yes I saw it this morning, I seriously thought about buying it... but I don't know the G-1s well enough and I was afraid something would go wrong...
Anyway the sleeves are too short for me :rolleyes:.
It's an E-series, so fake mouton. Not a bad jacket (especially at that price), but you can do better, especially if it's going to be your only G-1. :)

Kermit3D

It's an E-series, so fake mouton. Not a bad jacket (especially at that price), but you can do better, especially if it's going to be your only G-1. :)
Jan, you read my game clearly. ;)
Navy jackets aren't exactly my favorite... but that's probably because I don't know enough about them.
I could be tempted but I don't see myself collecting several jackets.
As you say, even if I only have one, I might as well choose it well and since the originals are still available, this seems to be the way to go. But I still have a lot to learn before I pull the trigger.

B-Man2

Let me offer a differing opinion on this jacket. The jacket is an original USN issued jacket that was a Vietnam war period piece. That one fact puts this jacket in a different class than a non war period G-1. It was manufactured and issued in the last year of the war 1973 . War time dated will usually increase the collective value of a G-1 jacket.
Next it’s a well known manufacturer jacket ie it’s made by Star Manufacturing Co. Another desirable factor. The jacket is in what I would say is very good to excellent condition for a 50 year old original jacket. Lastly the price $99.00 for this jacket. The absolute cheapest repro G-1 jacket out there is about 3 times more expensive than this original. Now the detractors …. It’s an E series which means it doesn’t have a mouton color ….. seriously guys …. If that factor alone is a deal breaker then have one installed on the jacket .
Fact : when you have the jacket on … no one but you or one of us will know the collar is not mouton . Secondly think of the cheapest G-1 repro made …. A 5 Star , an AVI ? Now will the value of that jacket increase over the next ten years ? Or will this original VietNam USN jacket increase during that same time frame . I’m not demeaning anyone’s opinions here but sometimes the rational of “ it doesn’t have a mouton collar escapes me “ it’s an original issued period piece, Can you do better ? Sure you can . You could find a Pritzker or a Monarch or an M-442A … But not for $ 99.00 you won’t . So as I said … no disrespect for anyone’s opinions …. This is basically an opinion forum where we “exchange opinions”…. So … let this one go if it doesn’t meet your criteria’s for a G-1 but …
I’d buy everyone I can find in a 46 like this one for $99.00, and that’s just my opinion.
Cheers

Last edited:

mulceber

Let me offer a differing opinion on this jacket. The jacket is an original USN issued jacket that was a Vietnam war period piece. That one fact puts this jacket in a different class than a non war period G-1. It was manufactured and issued in the last year of the war 1973 . War time dated will usually increase the collective value of a G-1 jacket.
Next it’s a well known manufacturer jacket ie it’s made by Star Manufacturing Co. Another desirable factor. The jacket is in what I would say is very good to excellent condition for a 50 year old original jacket. Lastly the price $99.00 for this jacket. The absolute cheapest repro G-1 jacket out there is about 3 times more expensive than this original. Now the detractors …. It’s an E series which means it doesn’t have a mouton color ….. seriously guys …. If that factor alone is a deal breaker then have one installed on the jacket .
Fact : when you have the jacket on … no one but you or one of us will know the collar is not mouton . Secondly think of the cheapest G-1 repro made …. A 5 Star , an AVI ? Now will the value of that jacket increase over the next ten years ? Or will this original VietNam USN jacket increase during that same time frame . I’m not demeaning anyone’s opinions here but sometimes the rational of “ it doesn’t have a mouton collar escapes me “ it’s an original issued period piece, Can you do better ? Sure you can . You could find a Pritzker or a Monarch or an M-442A … But not for $ 99.00 you won’t . So as I said … no disrespect for anyone’s opinions …. This is basically an opinion forum where we “exchange opinions”…. So … let this one go if it doesn’t meet your criteria’s for a G-1 but …
I’d buy everyone I can find in a 46 like this one for $99.00, and that’s just my opinion.
Cheers
Wasn't intending to demean its value Burt - I agree, it's a nice jacket, and an absolute steal at the price. But being fairly familiar with Kermit's collecting interests, I think there are better ones out there. Better ones at that price? Definitely not, nowhere close. But if you're only going to buy one Navy jacket, as seems likely for Kermit, why not hold out for something that checks all the boxes?

B-Man2

Wasn't intending to demean its value Burt - I agree, it's a nice jacket, and an absolute steal at the price. But being fairly familiar with Kermit's collecting interests, I think there are better ones out there. Better ones at that price? Definitely not, nowhere close. But if you're only going to buy one Navy jacket, as seems likely for Kermit, why not hold out for something that checks all the boxes?
Jan
Completely get it . Just sharing some factors that I think may be over looked by guys who are relatively new to USN jackets and are looking for good values and a potential collectable jacket down the road. The Vietnam era jackets are now in a time period that original A2’s were at back in the 1970s and 1980s where you can pick one up for very reasonable prices and in many cases far below the going rates for reproductions of the same jacket. As you mentioned , if a person is just looking for a quality G-1 that’s going to be the center piece of a one and done collection, then absolutely put away some funds and wait for that jacket to surface . There are still some nice Monarchs (Chandler just sold a beauty to Thomas) and an occasional Pritzker or Martin Lane out there.
On the other hand if a person is looking to build a G-1 collection and wants to learn as you go and upgrade and buy a jacket with the hopes of turning the jacket over and upgrading the collection over time …. What better way to start than with a war time piece at a low cost. Anyway always enjoy exchanging view points and opinions.
No right or wrong responses just thoughts on how to put together a nice collection of wearable originals .
Cheers

johnwayne

Crikey, $99.00 is about £80.00 here in the UK - that’ll just about get you a half decent meal for two these days!
A great intro into Navy jackets if you’ve not been tempted before I would suggest and personally I could ignore the Dynal collar at that price - if the fit was good then run with it and upgrade later on maybe!!

Capt

Vic
Yes it was . Here’s a look at my 68 Star . Same deal . Cuffs were changed out but waistband still the original one. View attachment 102901View attachment 102903

Thats one of the best colors of Mouton in contrast with the dark leather I've seen. I don't want to open an old can of worms here but more for answers really, if the suns rays is the only way to bleach the collar, which I assume was on the carrier deck and in the cockpit would the inside of the collar be much darker protected by the wearers neck?

I ditch my G1's roughly in April/May here in the UK as its quite humid for me, so I cant see the carrier wearers spending time on deck for safety reasons, so how would they bleach to golden that much? Could salt still be in a factor?