• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

An A-1 ORIGINAL ?

Vcruiser

It's not an original...for sure.
I'd say it was thin cowhide..that looks as if it has been rolled up in a ball for years with something stacked on top of it. Notice all the wrinkling...and button imprint in the leather.
Van

bseal

See something new everyday. Appreciate the post. Definitely original Schott, circa 1982.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
bseal said:
See something new everyday. Appreciate the post. Definitely original Schott, circa 1982.

... and apart from the colour, it's not a bad effort.

Doug C

The close up picture of the broken button is where I'm seeing a lot of similarity to Cape sheep leather. Also, if you look at the close up of the label, see the hanger loop looks closer to a lambskin or cape than a cow. Speaking of label, does that contract number look correct (An-7835 and order #233)? Looks like vegetable tanned too, with the light tan undercoating area showing through, maybe deceptive though. I find it hard to purchase from certain countries in Asia, thailand for instance - does that make me a bad person :p then again this guys does have 100% positive feedback! Crap if only it fit me..it is an authentic size.

Doug C

John Lever

I agree with Van. I think it's been screwed up to make it have more wrinkles to add to it's character. Interesting that these makers like Avirex made them 20 years ago.

Doug C

..certainly it has been wadded up for quite a while, that's for sure. Those are the type of wrinkles though that will work themselves smooth again with wear.

Doug C

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Doug C said:
Speaking of label, does that contract number look correct (An-7835 and order #233)?

No, the numbers are a Schott invention.

Usually Drawing No. AN-6501, otherwise 074734.

thatdude

Hey all, first post here. I actually ended up buying this jacket after the seller relisted it several times and the BIN got down to $99. I love aviation and I've wanted an A-1 for a long time, but with my college student budget I dont see myself in an Eastman, etc. any time soon.

I plan on using the brown paper bag/iron technique to hopefully get the creases out. Either that or soaking it and wearing it around for as long as I can stand (no fun when your apartment doesnt have heat). I also plan on replacing the buttons with period horn ones and ditching those those schott-branded snaps. The liner might get ditched as well for a more accurate one

I have some friends who major in costume design who have all told me if the leather is black, it's gonna stay black, but Ive heard elsewhere rubbing it with a vodka-soaked rag followed quickly by some form of conditioning has a chance of working (Any excuse to get drunk). Though maybe when it comes it will actually be dark brown, wouldnt that be nice? Any of you guys have any thoughts/suggestions for this jacket?

Best
Martin

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
thatdude said:
Hey all, first post here. I actually ended up buying this jacket after the seller relisted it several times and the BIN got down to $99.

Good buying at $99, Martin. :)

The creases will soon come out ... other than that, I suggest you wear the jacket, and drink the vodka.

If the colour changes at all, it will most likely be to a patchy grey, so live with it as it is ... the knits match, and it looks fine.

thatdude

David, I'll probably wind up leaving the color of the leather alone given my lack of knowledge and tendency to screw stuff up. Didnt think about the fact Id have to replace the knits as well. Once I get rid of those ugly plastic buttons it should be a more presentable jacket.

I'll be sure to post some images once it arrives, perhaps in that great A-1 thread you guys have going.

Best,
Martin