• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

American flag patch

FlyingYankee

I am thinking of putting an American flag patch on the right shoulder and an 8th AF patch on the left. Think it will look Okay even though some say the flag won't be blowing to the rear, I have seen some old jackets like this. Anyone here think this is the wrong way? Or won't look right?

dmar836

I've seen originals that way as well. I say if you like it, go for it!.
Of course pics would be required.
Dave

A

Anonymous

Not that it matters, I think most flag shoulder patches were used with the 12th and 15th Air Forces.

dujardin

yesssssssss 12 and 15 AF

not impossible with the ''8th'' but more than probably in some rare occasion

a2jacketpatches

I can make up a nice 48 star flag pointing either direction and an 8th to match it, same border leather color russet or seal brown. Accuracy depends on the individual, I've got reference to a Texas flag applied to an A2 jacket, these guys did what they wanted for the most part and so can you.

Correct, typical for the U.S. flag in the Mediterranean Theater of Operations, and by the way, on the right shoulder with star field left (stripes pointing forward) This is also how the armband was displayed on Airborne troops during the Normandy invasion. I believe the proper way to display the national flag hanging horizontal or vertical is with the star field to the left of the viewer. So your plan of application will look just fine. Actually, the new thing, with the stripes blowing back as if the soldier is moving forward, looks a little odd to me and I can't remember ever seeing it that way on WW2 garments.

More on it here, it's on the 50 star, but I think the same applies to the 48 star - http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/flagetiq.html

TankBuster

As some of the other guys have mentioned, the 12th AAF and 15th AAF were mainly the ones who used the leather flag on the shoulder. It wasn't seen very often, if much at all in the 8th. However, that surely doesn't mean you can't do it if you like it however.

FlyingYankee

I'v got some nice leather patches from a guy on E-bay he has a nice Texas flag on there now I would like to have

FlyingYankee

Did A2 make these?
232323232%7Ffp63557%3Enu%3D674%3A%3E%3A95%3E259%3EWSNRCG%3D3557%3A%3B853534%3Anu0mrj

Phantomfixer

IMO if you can get the flag facing front and still put it on right shoulder do it.. I would not have facing the rear unless it was an original jacket and patch...just me and you asked
enjoy your jacket!!!!