• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alpha L-2A Sage knit set change out project

deand

Just finished! Three weeks of on again off again work by hand, and by no means professional work, but I like it. I'd have to think very hard about trying it gain, ever. I think it looks okay, and along with a few other changes I made to the original Alpha 1990s jacket I for from Mark, (who told me he got it from a guy in New Zealand) I think it has more character now. Here goes:

mms_picture-5.jpg

mms_1picture.jpg

mms4_picture.jpg

mms3_picture.jpg

mms2_picture.jpg

mms5_picture.jpg

dean

Willy McCoy

X3!!. You do very good work! I just been through my cap collection too. I have three great cotton 3 & 4 panel! New hat stretcher for me! Yahoo!

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
deand said:
... a few other changes I made to the original Alpha 1990s jacket I for from Mark, (who told me he got it from a guy in New Zealand)

Hey! ... that's my patch. :shock:

Great project, it looks really good.

HueyPilot

Good job. Did you find instructions online, or just fly by the seat of your pants? I have a 1967 Satellite that is ready for a knit job.

deand

Thanks to the posters to this thread that i missed. I was inspired by a post by Mark on how to change out knits on A-2 cuffs, than applied the same principle to the rest of them, on a nylon jacket, of course. I am presently changing out the knits on my Alpha 'replica' MA-1. I went to the local Flint Red Shield store and found a cheap civilian MA-1 style jacket with sage knits, the jacket was a not nylon, a suede material, and got it for $15, cheaper than getting just a set of knits somewhere on-line. The toughest part of the change out is the connection point at the ends of the waist knit where they meet at the front at the base of the zipper. There's a ot of securing, reverseing material and oversewing, then overlapping of nylon to finish it neatly. Quite a bit of fussy work there, plus, I am doing this by hand and simply don't have the ability to stitch the material as tight and evenly as a machine.

dean