• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alpha Industries

johnnycanuck

Looking at picking up a new MA-1 or a B-15. Looking at Alpha Industries models. Anyone have any input/opinions. Any real difference from the Knox to the Alpha? Any on-line venders anyone would recommend. Any information would he helpful. Thanks.
Johnny

watchmanjimg

Hi Johnny!

In my opinion the current Alpha jackets are OK for the money, but they're really nowhere near the originals. On the one hand you have a choice of colors if you don't like sage green, but on the other hand the quality of Alpha's nylon, insulation, knits, and hardware falls well below true military specs. This has become more noticeable over the past 20 years in my opinion, and even the later issued Alpha MA-1s are a poor substitute for the brand's previous offerings. I can remember when the Alpha repros appeared somewhat better made than what's currently available, especially since they started putting that silly little tag on the sleeve pocket. I don't know too much about the Knox line, but it's possible they're a bit closer to the original type. My main gripe is with the materials used in the more recent Alpha jackets I've seen, but they may have improved this. One thing I can tell you is that Alpha's customer service is excellent in my experience.

Some of the other repro nylon jackets such as Buzz Rickson or Real McCoy's are much nicer than Alpha, but they're also considerably more expensive. Depending on your budget and preference as to color, you may be happier waiting until a good original MA-1 shows up on Ebay or perhaps the Buy/Sell page of this forum. Another option might be Alpha's Authentic MA-1 model, which is a bit more faithful to the original design in that it uses wool knits and so forth. I'm not sure if they're still in production, but I believe some websites still offer them.

Hope this helps!

Tim P

Buzz has the alpha beat to the likes of us but put the two together and the untrained eye would not be able to distinguish at all. I have both.
It is a lot of extra dollar to have a jacket that wins by a length. If it were a one horse race that would be different.

johnnycanuck

Well I tried a MA-1 Alpha on at the mall the other day. Good thing, I fit a 42-44 so I should be a large, but my arms are long so it looks like I need a extra large. I will have to decide if I am going to mail order or buy one there. All I save is about $10 for a mail order and they dont have any B-15's at the mall. Anyone have any pictures they care to share to help me decide?
Johnny

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
johnnycanuck said:
Anyone have any pictures they care to share to help me decide?

I've sold the Replica Series B-15D, and the modifieds, so here's the B-15C .... pretend it's green.

AlphaB-15C4.jpg

Atticus

If you are able to find an Alpha Replica B-15, please be aware that the sizing of these jackets can be strange. I wear XL in MA-1s and size 48 in leather jackets. The Replica B-15C I'm wearing in the photo below is a size 44, but it is much larger than any XL MA-1 I've ever owned. Indeed, it is very close to being too large for me.

JackiesTesters107.jpg

AF

bw-8

Atticus said:
If you are able to find an Alpha Replica B-15, please be aware that the sizing of these jackets can be strange. I wear XL in MA-1s and size 48 in leather jackets. The Replica B-15C I'm wearing in the photo below is a size 44, but it is much larger than any XL MA-1 I've ever owned. Indeed, it is very close to being too large for me.

I agree: I had one of those in a 44 and it seemed more like a 48-50. I normally wear a 42-44 depending on the cut and I felt like the Michelin Man in that thing! :lol:

Hey Deeb, is that a size 38 Alpha B15 you're wearing in the photo ?
I'm thinking about geting one and I think you and I are about the same size .

I take it you rate the Alpha B15 replica ? it seems really good value !

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
johnny english said:
Hey Deeb, is that a size 38 Alpha B15 you're wearing in the photo ?
I'm thinking about geting one and I think you and I are about the same size .

I take it you rate the Alpha B15 replica ? it seems really good value !

Yes, it's a 38 ... so that's the size for you. :)

And yes, not quite a Buzz, but great value.

picked up up size 38 Alpha B15 replica today, quite impressed with the quality , though not too sure about the green colour collar.

The guy selling picked up some NOS from a shop that was closing down and he reckoned that Alpha haven't made the B15 replica for about 8 years

He had some good stuff mind, MA1's and N2B's and some B15 vintage which he said were newer than the replicas and were not as good quality. They seemed to be a lighter weight.

Maverickson

Atticus said:

JackiesTesters107.jpg

AF

Hi AF,

I recently received my B-15C jacket. It was not quite as per described by the seller as it is 1/2" to 1" smaller dimensioned than reported. The shoulders are a true 20" and pits exactly 25" and the waist is 46 around ( GUT ROOM ). However, these real measurements are okay for me. It reminds me of a USN deck jacket. By chance these particular patches were in one of the inside pockets in this jacket!

B-15CFlightJacketPatches-1-1.jpg

On this coming Friday the 16th I will undergo back surgery. One of my vertabrea is going to be fused. They are going to JACK ME UP 3/8" to 1/2" as a result. But, as explained there is a slow recovery period. A possitive thing as it will push me back up towards the 6' that I oriiginally just missed and get rid of my nagging back pain. This surgery is also going to make carrying this B-15C jacket to the seamstress ( sail maker ) to attach the new knits. Notwithstanding, the B-15C jacket arrived prior to the replacement knits.

I will post all later.

Dave