• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alpha G-1 info wanted

Jaydee

I have never seen one in the flesh. The quality looks OK in the photos, but that rectangular zip bugs the heck out of me. I don't think Alpha ever had a contract for the G-1. It is probably not that close to the specs. but I don't think Alpha would put out something that was total crap either.

Jaydee

Well...there you go then. A firsthand account. :)

I have had only one Alpha jacket. It is a Aramid CWU-36P contract jacket. Great materials and durability on that one.

jack aranda

I have a black Alpha M-65 field jacket, with the liner. One of my favorite jackets of all time. Comfortable, well made, good fit.

watchmanjimg

jack aranda said:
I have a black Alpha M-65 field jacket, with the liner. One of my favorite jackets of all time. Comfortable, well made, good fit.

tcwu said:
Alpha used to be US military manufacture contractor!
Now Alpha just a fashion brand!
I don’t think they make US military clothes any more!
They kept the brand. They may transfer the military clothes under “Propper” brand.
Alpha no longer the quality guaranty! (unless the older one, those Made in USA)

I have to agree with both of the above posts. I too have an Alpha M-65 in black, and it appears to be made more or less as well as an issued example. I've had it for over 20 years, so it's seen enough use on which to base an informed opinion. On the other hand, I definitely feel that the brand is geared far more towards fashion than adherence to their original military roots--with obvious consequences. The recent MA-1 offerings are in my opinion woefully inadequate. This includes the 8279F mil-spec MA-1 they produced under contract, which other than the zipper, knits, and wool pocket lining falls well short of its predecessors.

sixties.nut

Yes, all of the heavy duty mil style goods has been transfered to Propper, but just try to run down a source of purchase. Good Luck with that.

Everybody and their brother is selling the nylon alpha goods, and you buy a hundred dollar jacket you get a hundred jacket plain an simple.

Back to the G-1 question it's a good looking coat out of the box that quickly falls apart. This just one experience. Mine.

I'm curious how the boys made out with the Orchard buys?