• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Airborne A-2s

Robman

Just out of curiosity, I remember on the old forum we had posted several pictures of airborne officers' A2 jackets. I enjoy airborne history particularly Mark Bando's website but wondered if anyone here had some to share?

colekwok

You mean something like this?

IMG_0641.jpg

a2jacketpatches

Here's one I had in my files, I'm not sure where I got it, but i'm in the process of making some multipiece leather versions. I know it's not historically accurate and all that, but they will look very cool.
13PIR.jpg

Marv

SuinBruin said:
The legendary Dick Winters in an A-2:

winters.jpg

Anyone know what A2 contract he is wearing, looks like a dark seal from the photo.........and most definately legendary !!!

HackerF15E

Marv said:
........and most definately legendary !!!

FWIW, he wasn't 'legendary' until a book and movie were made about the unit he was part of. No more and no less heroic than any number of thousands of other GIs who were involved in extraordinary times and circumstances.

Ian C

I've thought that for a long while. I've got every respect for those in Band of Brothers but they were just the focus point for what countless others were doing. They weren't even alone regarding elite units, US Rangers, Commandos, SAS, British Airborne, you can take your pick. I think the modesty of men like these says it all because usually to a man they will tell you they didn't do anything special and they were a few amongst many. I seem to remember Ambrose stating the attraction with Easy Cpy was the location amongst some of the key points during and after D-Day which made it a good story to put on paper.
I leave the crowing about who was best to the trollers on YouTube. One moron I witnessed recently was stating that 8th air force crews were braver than RAF crews because the 'cowardly English flyers bombed during the safety of night' if you can believe such cr*p. I don't think any bomber crews had it easy and anyone who played those odds certainly wasn't a coward.

Ian

EmergencyIan

HackerF15E said:
Marv said:

FWIW, he wasn't 'legendary' until a book and movie were made about the unit he was part of. No more and no less heroic than any number of thousands of other GIs who were involved in extraordinary times and circumstances.

All right.

- Ian

SuinBruin

HackerF15E said:
Marv said:

Doubtless Major Winters would agree with you. The use of the term "legendary" was meant simply as a tip of the cap to the recently deceased, not to exalt him above his fellow veterans. FWIW.

bobbyball

I recall there are details of an airborne A-2 in the 'Art of the flight jacket' book published by Schiffer.

Incidentally I saw an original recently which had an airborne patch stitch marks.

As for Band of Brothers, in my experience the real heroes are not the ones who go around shouting about it – quite the opposite, it takes some effort to find out what they really did. I love BoB but the trouble with Hanks and Spielberg is they do tend to give the impression that the US were the only Allied protagonists during the war. No offence to our friends across the pond but it does sometimes feel that the Brits are all portrayed as upper class twits on the edge of the fighting (the Arnhem/Holland episode being a case in point) – certainly we have a so-called government full of them at the moment :lol: but we were not all like that during the Forties.

Ian C

That's the difficulty in focusing on one particular unit. It's one thing to do that and another to deliberately dismiss Americas allies which I don't think Spielberg and Hanks do. The BoB book is dismissive in parts I seem to remember and probably the series reflects this. Nevertheless the contemporary opinion of Montgomery was quite disparaging in some areas amongst all levels of the US military and there is some justification in this but there are also reasons that would not have been apparent at the time, especially to the troops on the ground ie manpower and supply shortages when trying to take Caen and breakout from Normandy. Therefore when in SPR, Hanks says Mongomery was in his opinion over-rated it's an accurate portrayal of feelings at the time.
I've heard plenty of criticism of Patton and US forces etc from people this side of the pond but again they often aren't being completely objective. Patton was a different breed of commander but that doesn't mean one was better than the other. Both had their flaws as well as outstanding merits. The same goes for all combatants. How can anyone say one unit or individual was braver or better than another? What about the other side? Strip away the politicaL idealogy and it's hard to argue that these traits were non existent in the axis armies. It's all bar room arguments and never gets resolved.
The one thing that does seem to be agreed on is that the US forces had better kit and looked more stylish. Just look at the uniform of the US Airborne compared to what a British Commando wore and you can see why the re-enactors pick the 101st look. It's this rather than any theory that The US won the second world war single handedly that leads to US Airborne fanaticism.
Ian

Peter Graham

Ian C said:
The one thing that does seem to be agreed on is that the US forces had better kit and looked more stylish. Just look at the uniform of the US Airborne compared to what a British Commando wore and you can see why the re-enactors pick the 101st look. It's this rather than any theory that The US won the second world war single handedly that leads to US Airborne fanaticism.
Ian
Wey hey, I'm back online ! Personally, I think that the red beret and Dennison smock is way cooler than anything the yanks wore. I'm not even gonna get into any of the above discussions but what I will say is, and I hate to speak ill of the dead but Stephen Ambrose made caricatures of the British army, assuming them all to be toffs and fools. He may have helped popularise WW2 history but he makes a poor historian compared to the likes of Anthony Beevoir. Anyway back to the subject. I have a few great photos of members of the 82nd airborne wearing A-2's which I thought that I had saved on photobucket but it seems not so I'll dig them out, scan them and post here soon. Damm, it's nice to be back !

Ian C

I would love a full zip Denison smock!

It seems that Airborne forces on both sides seemed to get better looking kit probably to enhance the elite status. My Grandad was a RM Commando but as far as I am aware they only wore stock kit possibly adapeted to purpose.

Ian.