• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AIR ASSOCIATES A-2

Erwin

Interesting piece in a nice size, the jacket needs some work to restore, but looks like a great base for an interesting restoration project [in my opinion]. Does any of you bid?
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (3).jpg

Dany McDonald

I also think its a great candidate for a restoration project and repros.

I like the reddish undertone on that goat and the black lining, superb label too.

Thanks for sharing.

D

Erwin

Looks like civilian jackets made by this company are also comparably rare ones. I'm trying to get an interesting jacket with a strong USMC provenience, that's why skipping on this A-2. But it is a nice one, also looks like it would be a good deal.

Dany McDonald

Was apparently made for civilian instructors...

A good post and info here:

Erwin

Thanks, I already did some research [always do homework when seeing an interesting piece] as was wondering whether to buy this one or not.
156504187_o2.jpg

Skyhawk

Somebody got a bargain! Yes 1940's civil flight jacket. I have one in a size 46. We are working on reproducing it.

These jackets were used by the flight instructors of the USAAF while training the WWII pilots. I guess they didn't want to waste the contract A-2'S on non deployed airmen. As far as I know, these were also available to the general public to purchase out of the Air Associates catalog.

Air Associates was a prolific flight gear supplier form the early 1930's though the 1940's. It appears that they outsourced a lot of their items to other companies to make, with their labels being sewn in. These jackets were probably made by H.L. Block or a similar maker for Air Associates.