• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aftershave smell

Sideslip

Hello all, been tied up with things for a while so not very active posting.
However, I picked up what is apparently a Platon Dubow, but it has something of an aftershave smell - or it is ledercreme as the seller mentioned something about that. It is not a bad smell, but not quite a leather smell either. I put some cedar chips with the jacket in a suit carrier but after two weeks, still there. I may try the bicarbonate approach but any suggestions for aftershave/ledercreme?

Brettafett

You could try send it in for some Ozone treatment. Just tell them NO pinning in/ on the jacket anywhere.

Sideslip

Suggestions mooted in the current thread running on the removal of musty smells have the potential to work with other odours too.
Thanks, I had a read through that and was not sure if the musty smell treatment (given that musty is a ‘natural’ smell) would be the same for the aftershave (if that is what it is) which is effectively a chemical or man made smell. I will try the bicarbonate next (the jacket was outside as well before the cedar chip in a bag attempt).

@Brettafett - thanks. I am looking into the ozone.

Ultimately, the smell is not bad, so it’s not the end of the world for me :).

entertainment

I bought a 1970s Beck motorcycle jacket with a distinct smell of cologne. Despite lots of airing, the scent is still there after a year and a Pecard treatment. I have just learned to accept it as part of the jacket's history.

Dany McDonald

Sideslip,

Can I ask if the cologne smell is a residue around the collar so mostly on the lining or on the leather itself?

It will change the approach...

D