• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aero "Real Deal" A-2 measurements and opinions

luca_brasi

Hello All,

I'm new to this group and this is my first post. I'm in the market for a new A-2 and have been looking at the Aero "Real Deal" for several reasons, one being price and two being aesthetics, I like the seal brown with rust knits. Can anyone give me their measurements on a size 38, particularly sleeve length, and what is your opinion of this jacket?

Thanks,

Bryan

CBI

Welcome. The Real Deal in seal brown is a nice jacket. If you are set on it then go for it. I (and many others here) will suggest that you look at Good Wear (my top recommendation) and/or Eastman. Some might say "go, Aero". You might be able to find some good used deals on eBay as well.

I have owned 2 Real Deal A-2's and they are very nice jackets that are very well made. If you are looking for an A-2 that looks basically like an A-2 but without lots of specific details being exact, then you will be happy with it. The jerky horsehide is nice but not in the class and look of a Good Wear hide. I have never cared for the standard Real Deal lining which alwys looked/felt "cheap" to me. Kind of a plasticky, silky cotton.

As far as overall looks, the standard Real Deal pockets are just way too big and make the jacket look awkward. I am an average build and I alwys felt that the Real Deal cut was not very flattering on me. Kind of a generic everyman fit. Of course, one can have specifics custome made such as different size/style pockets, etc.

Another factor is that fact that you have become a member of this forum and if you start reading more and more posts you migth get hooked on really high end repros.

By the way, seeing as you are a size 38, you are a prime size for a decent original jacket in wearable condition. You could probabaly hold out for a nice original and sent it to Aero for re-working and have one heck of a "wearer". If I were a size 38, that's waht I would do - no question.

Best of luck - :D

Jason

I love my Aero Real Deal. Of all the jackets, this one has the best leather scent, no question. The fit is rather good too, quite comfy as far as A-2 cuts go. I'm normally a 42 size, but the 40 in the Real Deal fits me fine, perhaps just a touch snug around the waist & shoulder blades, but perfect sleeve length and fit around the neck line. Of course that works for my body shape... others might not be able to get along with it.
It's been described as using a 'warts and all' leather, which is pretty much spot on I think. Aero weren't afraid to use imperfect leather panels to create a more 'banged out in wartime' look and came close to the mark... but GoodWear has taken that to a whole new level.

Some might think of the Real Deal as a great 'starter' jacket in the upper tier repros, a step above the baggy Coopers etc, but a step below ELC etc. I'd have to largely agree, but the Real Deal isn't that behind the ELCs et al in my opinion. I value it just as much as my ELC 1401P or my RMcNZ goatskin Roughwear.

better duck

Jason said:
I love my Aero Real Deal.
Jason, what about the pocket size, that CBI is commenting on, you have this observation too? Or maybe this effect is proportionally inverse to the size of the jacket (but as all the pockets are the same size, no matter what the size of the jacket, they would have to be too big, period.
Being an avid UK fan, and visiting there almost every year, I'd like to go to Galashiels one day and visit the workshop and look for myself. Almost made it last year, if it hadn't been for a bankholiday.