• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aero RAF.

riopaulf

Hey guys. I saw a photo of an Aero RAF jacket online. It looks to me like it's a redskin, though?
I thought they were only available in Russet and seal brown? Am I missing something here??
Totally love the colour of this!
bac88ee2cb3b43ac6941f1b79d0b1e91.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

MikeyB-17

I’m no expert on Aero’s hide colour options, but that doesn’t look like redskin to me. Redskin was hand dyed and had a very mottled, uneven finish. That looks very even. It was also a USAAF thing, not RAF AFAIK. You certainly see redskin B-3’s, B-6’s and D-1’s, and I only know it as a USAAF colour. Others with more knowledge of Irvins may tell you different. Whether Aero would do you one in redskin if you asked them, I dunno, but I don’t believe it would be be authentic-if that matters to you.

riopaulf

Thanks for that. Perhaps it's a Russet one and the lighting is playing a part here? Who knows! Already planning a B3 or Irvin for winter. Did I hear so done mention that Aero will be going to an event where I can try on these jackets before I buy one? I'm growing impatient for my d1

stanier

Yes I think russet and redskin is being confused here.

There was an Aero event in London earlier in the year but I think it’s over now. Could that be what you’re thinking of? I wish I’d been able to get to it too!

D97x7

Probably just the lighting, it looks russet to me.
Here's a pic of Aero's russet next to Eastman's redskin, quite different, although the redskin is actually a russet as well
P_20190225_100640.jpg

The one in the OP could be an older batch of skins I assume.

riopaulf

Here's a pic of Aero's russet next to Eastman's redskin, quite different, although the redskin is actually a russet as well
View attachment 15458

Love those jackets! I am tempted to buy right now but makes no sense given that we’ve got the hottest February ever in the UK. I just hope I get some use out of my D-1 whenever it arrives....

I’ll order a B-3 toward the end of the y3ar if I have the funds available :) I just wish I could go to an aero event to see and try on first!

Also where fit is concerned, I understand they are generously cut? So I am a 42 chest, should I aim smaller, say 40 for the jacket for a tighter fit or should I try to stay the same, ie 42?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

riopaulf

View attachment 15458

Is your Aero a RAF Irvin replica or USAAF B3?

D97x7

The Aero above is an Irvin repro.
As for sizing, the Aero is a 42 which is good for a heavy shirt underneath and the Eastman is a 46 which is obviously more roomy, but not over the top to my taste. I have a 42 chest, to my mind a 40 Aero would be t-shirt only territory and not for me.

Obscurator

Love those jackets! I am tempted to buy right now but makes no sense given that we’ve got the hottest February ever in the UK. I just hope I get some use out of my D-1 whenever it arrives....

I’ll order a B-3 toward the end of the y3ar if I have the funds available :) I just wish I could go to an aero event to see and try on first!

Also where fit is concerned, I understand they are generously cut? So I am a 42 chest, should I aim smaller, say 40 for the jacket for a tighter fit or should I try to stay the same, ie 42?

Which maker's D-1 are you getting? I don't wish to go off-topic, but I'm after one, and am thus interested to see what other forum members are buying.

stanier

I think he’s getting an Aero redskin. There is another thread about it that’s a good read. Nice jacket choice too. I’ve got an ELC D-1 but if I were in the market now I’d be Aero too.

Cheers

Obscurator

I think he’s getting an Aero redskin. There is another thread about it that’s a good read. Nice jacket choice too. I’ve got an ELC D-1 but if I were in the market now I’d be Aero too.

Cheers
Thanks. That's the direction I think I may be taking. Looks like D-1 weather in East Anglia is finished until the back end of the year, unless we see another "Beast".

riopaulf

As for sizing, the Aero is a 42 which is good for a heavy shirt underneath and the Eastman is a 46 which is obviously more roomy, but not over the top to my taste. I have a 42 chest, to my mind a 40 Aero would be t-shirt only territory and not for me.
Thanks for that... hmmm decisions!!

riopaulf

Got to be a 42, then so I can wear a heavy shirt as well as a t-shirt!

riopaulf

Never quite sure these days whether it's that, a previous year's deferred Indian Summer, or a premature cool-ish Summer. Rain due in Suffolk, so it'll be back to oilskins.

So the B-3’s etc only good for cold DRY days?
Would they spoil if they got wet?

Smithy

Stanier is right, walking around in wet sheepskin is not in the least bit enjoyable, in fact it's bloody awful. One of the most miserable experiences you can have wearing a jacket is wearing a sheepskin flying jacket in a full downpour for more than five minutes.

Irvins, B-3s, etc are not designed to be worn as wet weather gear. If you're after something to wear in wet weather look elsewhere.

riopaulf

Stanier is right, walking around in wet sheepskin is not in the least bit enjoyable, in fact it's bloody awful. One of the most miserable experiences you can have wearing a jacket is wearing a sheepskin flying jacket in a full downpour for more than five minutes.

Irvins, B-3s, etc are not designed to be worn as wet weather gear. If you're after something to wear in wet weather look elsewhere.

Nah I’ll just sit in my car or dash in to a shop ;)

Smithy

If you do get an Irvin and you live somewhere nippy, make sure you invest in a good submariner jumper as well. Irvins are shortish jackets - remember they were part of the Irvin suit so designed to be worn with matching sheepskin trousers and most importantly to be worn whilst sitting down - so you need something longer and warm to stop the top of your arse, and if the wind blows, your kidneys freezing. Most go for a form of the Royal Navy Submariner roll neck jumper as worn by first RAF ace of the war, Cobber Kain or Whatshisname Shaw in the Battle of Britain film.